Chapter Thirty-Five

Cassandra

"What?"

"Nicolas is coming here."

I got up. I looked at Alfred badly. Is this set-up? Did Alfred just fool me?

"I was right, you're going to set me up. I should never-"

"You're mistaken Cassandra. It's not a set-up and I don't know why the boss knew I was here."

"Of course you told him and you planned it!"

My heart was beating faster and faster. I try to fight my fear. "I didn't tell the boss about you being here. He didn't even know I was doing this thing. We had to leave before they came."

"How about my family what if Nicolas did something bad to them?"

"The boss won't do that. We need to go now."

I just nodded and quickly followed Alfred out of the house. I couldn't even say goodbye to my family. I didn't know where we were going the only thing I knew was a place where I was supposed to be safe.

I don’t know if I’m really safe there because I know what Nicolas can do. Even though maybe I was in the safe place Alfred says I still can’t be reassured.

Alfred gripped the steering wheel tightly as we crossed the dark and wide road. I no longer see buildings only tall trees are around. He was driving faster and faster. I hold on the side.

"Alfred. Can you drive slowly? They didn't seem following us." I tried to be calm but my heart was still beating fast. Alfred didn't budge he just continued. I just clung tightly to the side.

We spent about an hour on the road. He stopped at a large gate. Inside was a large house without any light. I turned to Alfred after I got out of the car.

"Where are we?"

He took a key from his pocket and headed to the gate. I followed him. I'm not yet near him when I heard the chain fall to the ground.

He pulled the gate open. I stopped when he went back to the car.

"Are you mute now?"

But he still ignored me. I sighed in annoyance. "Where exactly are we?" I tried to get an answer.

But I still got no answer from him. He got into car and start it and then entered the gate.

"He really left me here. Does he have now that attitude?" I flipped my hair.

I took a heavy step into the gate and followed Alfred to the main door of the big house. "Why are you so slow?"

That was the first thing he said when I got closer him. I rolled my eyes. "Why didn't you just put me in the car ?! And then what are we doing here? Whose house is this, why is there no light at all? It's so scary.  It's like a house of ghost."

"This place is safe. And what house of ghost? The whole house has light but we can't light them because Nicolas might see us that we are here."

It was frustrating that I just followed him inside the house. Using the flashlight of his phone we went straight to the kitchen and there Alfred lit a candle.

I leaned against the counter and watched him rummage through the cabinets.

"Does Nicolas know this place?" I asked.

He put down on the counter the different flavors of noodles.

"Yes." He answered.

My eyes widened at his answer. "Why would this place become safe if Nicolas knew about it?"

"Don't ask too many questions. I got you." I sighed defeatedly. I really have nothing against this one.

He said that I'm safe here, so be it.

___________

I woke up to the loud rattle coming from the kitchen. I could no longer climb to upstairs to sleep because I was tired.

There was a blanket wrapped around me. Maybe Alfred put it on when I fell asleep here on the sofa.

I stretched my arms before deciding to head to the kitchen. I found Alfred busy cooking. I went straight to him.

"I didn't know you could cook."

"Don't bother me I'm focusing here. Just go there in the living room and make yourself busy."

I left him rolling my eyes then took a glass of water and went back to the living room.

I looked around the house. This is beautiful and super elegant. Every painting hanging on the wall relieves stress. There was not much equipment other than the sofa, wall paintings and kitchen utensils. There is a piano on the side covered with white cloth.

Whose house is this? I want to think it's Alfred but someone still enters my mind. I hope not.

I just decided to look around at the paintings. Most of them are mansions. Others are landscape and abstract. I reached the very end. A painting caught my attention. My forehead furrowed.

What the ?? I can not believe this. The painting. I am now staring the mansion of De Luca.

___________________

We're near guys....