𝓉𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒

My heart pounded wildly in my chest. He was here.

      "Show yourself. I want to see you before I die."

     "What makes you so sure I'll kill you?" He asked, stepping into the moonlight.

     He was very pale. He had dark brown eyes and black hair. He was tall and looked strong. Then I saw his ears. They were pointed. He was fae.

     "You're not a beast. You're fae."

     "No, I'm not a beast. I only act like one."

     He gave me a wry smile. "You aren't the prettiest one I've gotten. But you aren't the ugliest either."

     That made me angry. "There is more to a person than beauty."

     "I didn't say there wasn't. I'm sure you're perfectly pleasant." He crossed his arms and leaned up against a tree. 

     So you're my wife and I, your husband. I'm the King of Javaid. And you are the new queen." He gave a mock bow.

      "King? and where is Javaid?"

      "Javaid is hidden by magic. It is deep in the woods. No human can enter unless invited in. We need to go. We have to be back before sunrise." He held out his hand.

     I took it and he helped me climb down off of the altar. The air was cold and I shivered. He sighed and handed me his brocade jacket.

     "It's not warm but it's warmer than what you have so put it on." I slipped it on.

     "Thank you." He didn't answer me. He led me into the woods.

     It was dark. So dark that I couldn't see where I was going. I tripped over a tree root and fell to the ground. He stopped walking and turned towards me.

     "Clumsy humans. I forgot you can't see in the dark." He snapped his fingers and a small glowing orb appeared, lighting the path.

    "What is your name?" I asked because I realized I didn't know.

     "Cirillo. And yours?"

     "Aracelli."

     We continued in silence until we got to a the back of the woods. Before us was a huge field like our side of the woods. He closed his eyes and held up his hand. The air began to ripple and shimmer and fall away like curtains. There, in the clearing, stood a city. Huge, beautiful buildings stood illuminated by the moon. And in the very center of the city was a massive castle complete with spires and watchtowers. I felt my mouth drop open. Cirillo reached down and shut my mouth.

     "Don't gape. It isn't attractive." He held out his arm and I took it, slipping my arm into his.

    He led me into the city. We walked down the streets, arm in arm. The people stared at us. Some whispered  behind their hands and others looked at me with pity in their expressions.

     I realized I was covered I dirt from my fall. I tried to brush some of it off. Cirillo noticed and snapped his fingers again. The dirt disappeared.

     "How?" I whispered.

     "Magic." I looked up at him. He had no expression.

     We continued our walk to the castle. All the people bowed and curtsied to him as we passed.

     It hit me then that they were also bowing and curtsying to me too. I was their queen.

     We reached the castle. It was even bigger up close. Made of marble, it glowed in the moonlight. Cirillo stood at the gates.

    "My loyal subjects. May I present my wife. Queen Aracelli of Keir. She is my wife and your queen. Treat her as so." He commanded, looking every bit the cruel king that he was.

    He motioned to a guard. "Take her to her room."

     "But Sire, it's your wedding night aren't you—"

     "No. I said take her to her room!" He commanded, then turned on his heel and left, leaving me with the guard.

     The guard motioned for me to follow him. He led into the castle and a large corridor into a new hallway. He stopped at a door halfway down the hallway. He bowed.

     "Your room, your majesty." He opened the door to reveal a beautiful room. It was decorated in white and gold. There was a large canopy bed against the wall and a huge window leading out onto a balcony.

     "This is mine?"

     "Yes, it is."

     I entered the room and he told me that someone would be there to help me get ready for bed in a few minutes.

He was right. A few minutes later, a maid came in. She helped me out of my wedding dress and into a warm bath.

     "How did the water get here? You didn't carry it in."

     "Magic" she answered. Why wasn't I surprised?

     I bathed with sweet smelling oils. They smelled like oranges and vanilla. Once I was finished, I put on a nightgown from the wardrobe and the maid braided my hair. It was nice, sitting their as she braided it. It reminded me of my mother. She would always braid my hair before I slept. I began to cry softly. I would never see her again.

     "Don't cry, majesty." She whispered, tying of the braid. "The king isn't so bad."

     I whirled around. "But he said—"

     There was a sharp knock at the door and it flew open. Cirrilo stood in the doorway, a scowl in his face.

     "You're dismissed." He told the maid. She scurried out of the room, leaving us alone.

     "What are you doing?"

     He shut the door and locked it.

     Suddenly, I knew.