𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝒻𝒾𝓋𝑒

𝒞𝒾𝓇𝒾𝓁𝓁𝑜

       The carriage rattled down the rode. Each bump and jolt made my leg ache worse. I layed my head against the back of the carriage and groaned. This trip seemed like it was taking forever. 

        I had been gone for three months. I went to Aquara to help them amass their armies when we were attacked. I fought with my men on the front lines, like my father and my grandfather before me. 

       I don't remember much about the battle. I was wounded. I was shot in my shoulder and I fell off my horse. I broke my leg badly. I was in the infirmary for almost 4 weeks until I was able to travel. But we couldn't go anywhere because Aquara was surrounded by human armies. 

       Then, out of nowhere, they left. They packed up their camps and left. Someone said it was because the king of Bagara was dead. 

       We set off towards Javaid, towards home, as soon as we could. But I got sick on the way. I was bedridden for almost a week before I was well enough to travel. And we couldn't send a messenger because our men were already few and far between. 

        The only thing that kept me going through those dreadful months was Aracelli. Her laugh, her smile, her kindness. She was my motivation, my strength. 

       I felt the carriage pull to a stop. I peered out the window and saw the palace. My home. The driver climbed down and helped me out of the carriage. I leaned heavily on my cane. 

       My leg was fully healed but I still had a slight limp. Besides, the cane was a good weapon. The heavy metal handle could bash someone's head in easily. 

       I slowly made my way up the stairs and into the foyer. I was just inside the doorway when I heard her. I heard her call out to me.

        "Cirillo!" I saw her fly down the stairs, her dress trailing behind her like a cloud. 

       She ran towards me and threw herself into my arms. I dropped the cane and wrapped my arms around her. I cradled her head in one hand and clutched her to me with the other. 

       We sunk to the floor, clinging to each other. I could hear her crying, I could feel her body trembling.

        "I'm alright, love. I'm alright." I whispered into her hair. She looked up at me with tear filled eyes. 

         "I was so worried." 

       I pushed a stray strand of hair off of her face. "There's no need to worry now. All is well."

      We stayed there, clinging to each other like a life raft until her trembling stopped and her breathing evened out. 

        She stood and helped me up. When I reached for my cane, she frowned. 

       "Just a lingering injury. Nothing a little rest can't fix." She still looked worried.

        "I'm fine. I promise." I assured her. I held out my hand and she grabbed it. I pulled her to me. 

       "I'm tired and hungry from my trip. Can we go to our room?" She nodded and helped me up the stairs.

        My leg complained with every step but I didn't care. I was home. I was home with my wife. I didn't have to fear for my life any longer. 

       𝒜𝓇𝒶𝒸𝑒𝓁𝓁𝒾

        I couldn't put into words the amount of joy in my heart. He was home! 

      We slowly made our way back to our bedroom. I could tell he was in pain. He was favoring his left leg. His face was also pale and he had a couple days worth of stubble. His face was thin and drawn and his eyes had dark circles under them. 

        When we arrived in our room, Lola came in to draw a bath because Cirillo was too tired. 

       "Do you want me to bring you something to eat?" I asked him.

        He nodded. "Please. I'll bathe while you get it if that's alright."

       "Of course." I kissed him lightly on the lips. He pulled me back and kissed me harder, lingering a little after we had broken away.

        "I missed that." He whispered. 

        "Me too."

        It had taken me much longer than I expected to bring Cirillo some food. The cook was in the kitchen, making biscuits for tomorrow's breakfast when I arrived. She insisted on heating up some meat and vegetables from that night's dinner. 

       When I finally arrived back to our room, Cirillo was already asleep. His hair was still wet and he wasn't  even under the covers. I didn't want to wake him so I pulled a fur blanket over him. 

As I  brushed a wet lock of hair off his face,  I kissed his cheek lightly. "Goodnight. I'm glad you're home."

       I crawled into bed next to him.  I pulled  my hand out of the comforter and slipped my fingers into his. I swear his hand squeezed mine, even though I  know he was asleep.