𝒻𝒾𝒻𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃

I felt the pain. The burning, the searing pain on my arm. It felt like fire crawling up my arm. I looked down and my arm was on fire. I heard the priest chanting and the people yelling. I was drowning in flames. The embers licked at my skirts. They climbed higher and higher until—

"Aracelli!" Cirillo shook me awake. His eyes were wild and fearful. He pulled me into his lap and rocked me back and forth. I was trembling and crying. The night terror of the day in the village replayed in my mind.

"Aracelli, love, are you alright?" Cirillo's voice was full of concern. He stroked my hair, continuing to hold me close.

"No." Was all I had strength to say. He didn't respond, only held me tighter.

"I get night terrors too." He said so quietly that I almost didn't hear him. "I've never told anyone, but I get them too. I wake up sweaty and disoriented. It takes me a little while to realize where I am. Then I can't sleep for the rest of the night so I usually get up and train. I see my parents die in my dreams. Over and over again."

His voice was shaking and I felt a tear hit my forehead. I looked up at him and sure enough, he was crying.

"I used to think I was weak for getting them. But I realized I was foolish. You are stronger than I and you still get them."

"I'm not strong."

"Yes, you are. You were forced to marry me, separated from your family, but you still remained yourself. Some girls crumbled under the weight of everything, but you didn't. Even after the village. You got up and continued helping me with the council. You stood up for your people that day in the council chamber. You told me off in front of all those powerful men. You told off the duchess. You are strong."

"Thank you, that means a lot."

"Of course."

He held me and I held on to him. We eventually laid down and fell back asleep, wrapped in each other's embrace.

The next day was our Linking ceremony. We had decided to keep it personal and small. Only Abel, Lola, and Cirillo's advisor would be there to witness it.

My gown was a blue so light, it almost looked white. It had gold stitching and loose, puffy sleeves. My hair was braided into a crown on my head and tiny gold chains were woven into the braids. I wore no jewelry except for a small gold, coin-shaped pendent with the Javaid seal stamped onto it.

Cirillo was in a deep blue brocade jacket. His sword was gleaming in the early morning sunlight.

He held my face and kissed me softly.

"Are you ready?"

I nodded.

We entered the sitting room. Abel, Lola, and the advisor entered shortly after us. They nodded at us and we walked to the front of the room to begin.

A small bowl, a dagger, and a length of rope were the only things on the simple, wooden table.

Cirillo turned to me and began "I Cirillo Encaden, King of Javaid, accept you as my heart's half."

     His voice was soft and reverent. The joy in his eyes made my heart swell.

I answered him. "I, Aracelli Encaden, Queen of Javaid, accept you as my heart's half."

He took the dagger off the table and pressed it to his palm, drawing blood. He gripped the rope in his bloody palm then handed me the dagger.

I did the same to my palm and grabbed the rope right next to his hand.

He took the rope and tied it in a knot.

"Let the power of our bond never be broken."

He tossed the rope into the firey bowl. The flames grew and my heart pounded. Cirillo grabbed my hand with his good hand and I clutched at it. We watched as the fire at away at the rope, Magic making it disappear quicker. Then he held out his cut palm and I saw that the cut had healed, and in its place was a beautiful tattoo. A crown of thorns and and a crown of flowers were intertwined on his palm. I looked at my palm and saw that the same tattoo was there.

"You're mine." He whispered. Pressing his tattooed palm to mine. "No one can ever say otherwise."

He smiled at me and his eyes glittered with happiness. He pulled me to him and kissed me.

He pulled away as Abel slapped him on the shoulder. "Congratulations, brother."

"Thank you, Abel."

Lola hugged me tight. "I'm so happy for you. It's so special to find your half!"

She wiped a tear from her eyes. "I never thought this day would come."

"What day?"

"The day the King gets linked!"

I looked at Cirillo but he was deep in conversation with Abel.

Before I could ask her why she never thought it would happen, Cirillo ushered Lola and Abel out of the room.

I turned to Cirillo.

"Why did you make them leave?"

"I couldn't wait any longer."

Then he kissed me hard on the lips, wrapping his hands around me and holding me to him like he never intended to let go.