𝒻𝒾𝓋𝑒

He didn't visit me last night. Lola came in and woke me up. I ate breakfast and she helped me dress. Today I was wearing a thick pair of soft pants and a warm wool sweater. She handed me a wool coat, hat, gloves, and a scarf.

"Where am I going?"

"King Cirillo is taking you on a tour through the city. It will be cold."

"Do her hair in a braid like it was on our wedding night."

I spun around to see Cirillo leaning against the door frame, his arms crossed. He was dressed warmly too.

Lola quickly did as he asked and braided it in a simple plait down my back, then tied it off with a cream ribbon.

"Where are we going?" I demanded.

"I'm going to give you a tour of the city. I'll show you that my people, our people are not heartless beasts. We are civilized people. Different from the people of Keir, yes. But not heartless monsters." He turned on his heel and left. I scurried down the hall to catch up to him."

It was frigid. Snow crunched under our boots and covered the ground in a sparkling blanket. The city was even more beautiful than I could imagine. Cirillo and I walked arm and arm through the village.

A man stopped him and began a conversation. I noticed a shop with a large spread of cakes and buns in the window. I stepped inside and the smell of frosting and sugar hit me. I was admiring the baked goods when I heard Cirillo's voice behind me.

"You can get whatever you'd like. My treat."

I turned to face him. "Really?" He nodded.

I pointed to a sticky bun covered in cinnamon frosting and candied pecans. "That one."

He handed the lady a copper coin and I picked up the sticky bun and took a big bite.

It melted in my mouth. Sweet and sugary heaven.

Cirillo smiled. "Enjoying it?"

I nodded vigorously.

"Come on. We have more to see."

I ate the rest of the sticky bun quickly as we went on our way. He took me to a dress shop.

"You have an hour. Pick out 3 day dresses, 2 winter cloaks, and a ball gown. You'll need to gown for your coronation ceremony."

"Do your brides normally get coronation ceremonies?" I asked.

"No. Now hurry. I want to take you to Madame Currade before I'm dead."

I stepped into the shop. A beautiful woman with golden skin and shimmering auburn hair greeted me.

"Hello, darling. What do you need?"

"The king told me I needed some things. A gown for the coronation especially."

She raised her eyebrows in surprise. "A gown for whose coronation ceremony?"

"Mine."

"Stars above. It's happening."

"What? What's happening?"

"Oh nothing. Nothing, dear." She flitted about the shop, pulling fabrics off racks and laces off spools.

I told her the list of things Cirillo said I needed. She helped me pick out fabrics and laces and ribbons. By the end of the hour, my head hurt from her incessant chatter about the gossip of the city.

The bell above the door jingled and Cirillo came in.

"Are you ready?" He asked, surveying the pile of fabrics.

"She is. She has enough to get her started. But if she stays, she will need more. She is a queen after all."

Cirillo's pleasant expression soured. "She won't need more. Add everything to my tab."

And with that, we left.

Madame Currade's turned out to be a small shack near the edge of the city. It was dirty and dingy compared to the pristine city we had just left.

"Why are we here?" I was confused. What could we possibly do here?

"You'll see." Was all he said.

A frail, hunched old lady came out. If fae were supposed to be immortal, this lady must be ancient.

Cirillo bowed low. He motioned for me to do the same, so I gave her a deep curtsy.

"Madame Currade, you know why I'm here."

" I do, child. I knew as soon as you stepped foot outside the city and onto my property."
     She motioned to me with a wrinkled finger.
       "Come here, girl. Come inside."

I looked at Cirillo. He nodded and held out his hand, signaling for me to follow her.

"Are you coming too?"

"No, I'm not. Now go."

I followed Madame Currade inside. Her shack was dark and dank, lit only by a small fire puttering out in the hearth.

"Sit down. Hold out your palm. The one with the cut from your wedding ceremony."

I did as she told and she pulled a knife from her pocket, and reopened the wound on my hand. It hurt more than the first time so I pulled my hand away. Madame Currade snatched it back. She dipped her finger in the blood and put it to her lips. She smiled.

"As I suspected. You are Cirillo's heart's half."