𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎 𝓉𝒽𝓇𝑒𝑒

I saw his camp, set up in the field where the choosing ceremony had taken place. I saw the King' s tent. A massive blue tent in the center the camp.

I could see him. I could see him standing in front of his tent. He was old. His hair was already grey, as was his beard. He was fat and his face was red and shiny, like he was sweating. He didn't look like the evil man I pictured in my head. He was much less intimidating, yet scary in his own way.

"Your majesty!" He called in a jocular tone not fitting for the severity of the situation. "So good to finally meet you!"

I didn't answer. When I made my way to get off my horse, King Anton held out his hand to help me. I ignored it. I slid off my horse and crossed my hands over my stomach, holding the bottle of wine I retrieved from my saddle bag.

"I'm here to bargain and I don't have much time. I have a dinner party at seven." I said curtly and walked past him into his tent.

He followed me in. "You're much different from the quiet queen I expected."

"War will do that to a person, Majesty. You are much less, how do I put this nicely, attractive than I pictured as well.

      Now, why are you attacking Javaid?"

His face turned a deep shade of scarlet "I am attacking Javaid because your king is a monster. He has tormented our human lands for too long. He needs to be stopped."

We were inside the tent now. I held out the bottle of wine I brought.

"Wine? It's unopened. I promise."

He took it and opened the wine with a dagger from his belt. He poured it into two goblets. He held one out to me with a flourish.

"For you, your majesty."

I shook my head "I can't"

"Why not? Scared to drink your own poison?" He asked with a sneer.

"No, I can't drink wine." I placed my hands protectively over my stomach. His eyes traveled to my hands and understanding dawned in his eyes.

"Congratulations." Was all he said before he downed his goblet of wine.

"Why do you say that my husband is tormenting the human lands?" I ask, trying to distract him from the poision hidden in his glass.

"He erased the memories of Javaid from their minds. He slaughters their daughters. He holds the threat of death over their heads. He does not know the ways of Keir. Keir needs to be ruled by a human king, like me." He sneered. He poured himself another glass and downed that one as well.

Keep drinking. I silently urged him.

"He does not rule them. He merely watches over them." I retort.

King Anton shrugs "Either way, I've been looking for a reason to attack Javaid for a while now. It has gold and riches that I want. Now I have a reason." He pulled his sword from its sheath and brandished it in front of him. I back up and pull the dagger from my sleeve.

"I'm going to keep you alive because I know that King Cirillo will want his precious wife and child back in one piece." He grinned maliciously. "If he survives the war. I heard he is at the front lines." King Anton's face was taking on a slightly green hue. I think my poison is working.

"He is not a coward hiding in his tent threatening women. He is a king, fighting with his men."

"I am not a coward!" The king lunged towards me. I dodged but I wasn't fast enough. The sword was heading towards my leg and there was nothing i could do to doge it. I braced myself for impact but the sword hit an invisible barrier and shattered into a thousand tiny pieces.

The kings face was red and he was furious. "H-How?" He sputtered.

As long as you wear it, I'll be with you always, I will protect you always.

The ring was enchanted.  

"Magic." Was all I said as I threw the dagger. It landed right in his chest.

The king roared in anger and lunged for me again but the dagger and the effects of the poison made him fall backwards. He crashed into the table and fell to the ground.

"You witch!" He sputtered, his voice slurred from the poison. "You lying, conniving witch!"

I pulled my dagger from his chest. He tried to stand but was too weak. His arms gave way and he fell to th e ground.

I watched as the life left his body. The color faded from his face and his body went limp.

This scene will haunt my nightmares for years to come.

"You're going to need a new king." I told the guard outside the tent.

I wiped my hands on my dress, leaving blood stains. I blanched.

I hurriedly climbed onto the horse and rode off, lest they realize I just murdered their king and come after me. To further prevent them from following me, I raced through the forest, weaving through the trees. I didn't stop riding until I got back to the barrier. The barrier rippled and disappeared. I barreled through it and Abel slipped the barrier back I thought place.

The horse had just come to a stop when I slid off, the weight of what I had done hitting me in full force. I let out an anguished cry and my knees buckled. Abel caught me and hugged me, stroking my hair.

"I'm a monster." I whispered.

"No, Aracelli, your reaction shows that you aren't a monster. You're a queen. His death prevented hundreds of our men's death."

"I know." It still upset me that I just killed a man. He helped me back onto my horse and we rode in slice back to the palace.

He helped me down and this time, I accepted the help. We made our way to my room. Abel opened my door and headed to the washroom. Flicking his fingers, he filled my tub with steaming water. Before he turned to leave, he said "Cirillo would be proud of you."

I bathed and changed into a soft nightgown. I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.