21 | Unfinished Business

Upon arriving at the Pack House, I was stunned into almost silence when hit with the scene before me

The outskirts of the building, and leading to the outdoor training arena, were filled with pack members, which given the early hour wasn't  particularly unusual.

But it was the feeling that was different.

I didn't have werewolves senses, but even an idiot could tell the place was buzzing with excitement and anticipation.

Clearly, word had got around that the hybrid who'd been living with their Alpha, and training under Harlow, was going toe to toe with a male werewolf.

Apparently, it seemed I was somewhat of an enigma, although I failed to see why.

They wanted a show.

After mulling on the idea overnight, I'd actually become quite excited. Although still nervous, I trusted that Phelan wouldn't put me in a situation that risked my safety too much.

Could I actually hold my own against a werewolf?

Since training with Harlow, her fists and shins had made contact with me many times, as mine did with her. My body was stronger. I was stronger.

And I'd grown hooked to the adrenaline and endorphin rush that came with the contact.

But I felt that what Phelan saw in me was pure
chance, a fluke, and that he was making it out to be something it wasn't. I was no heroine. I was no fighter. I was Edie, true crime documentary enthusiast and chocolate addict.

Sure, I could bust some moves on the dance floor, but this was more than a little stretch...

Walking beside Phelan, I felt so small. He squeezed my hand in reassurance as we passed bystanders, standing bold and assertive, like he hadn't a care in the world.

He exuded a dominance around the pack that I hadn't witnessed to such an extent before as most of my time with him was alone or with Sophia and Gunner.

People offered a slight head tilt as a show of respect, eyeing us both as we walked through the main area. And whilst I'd expected heckles or expressions of doubt, it seemed that they were eyeing me with optimistic caution.

Most of them anyway.

Phelan was, like always, rather pragmatic in his explanation.

"They want to see what their future Luna is made of."

"What's that? Stand up comedy?" I chided.

He rolled his eyes.

"Come. Let's go see Harlow and wrap up your hands."

As we walked side by side to a change room, we passed Wyatt who was joking around with some friends.

When he noticed us walking towards him, he eyed me up and down, smirking as he did so. Hushed whispers descended amongst his small group of friends, who were clearly uneasy with the interaction before nodding their heads respectfully to Phelan.