3 | Awkward Conversations

Waking up slowly, I was surprised to find that I felt as if I'd slept on a cloud.

Having fallen asleep in the total darkness, I was struck by the sight around me as I remembered where I was and what had transpired.

Sitting upright, I peeled three, if not four layers of blanket that were over me.

Weird, I thought. I swore I only used one.

Brushing it off, I stretched, stood up, and surveyed my surroundings. I was pleasantly surprised by the place in the day light.

It was as if nothing had happened the night before, all evidence of a storm had disappeared, and despite the chill on window panes, the sun was breaking through and casting a luminous glow across the room.

Little things I didn't have a chance to notice before the power outage piqued my interest. Walking through the center of the room, I noticed an old retro air hockey table that I didn't see previous. Cool, I mused.

As I fiddled with the paddle, it dawned on me just how thirsty I was. Remembering what Prince Charming said the before he waltzed off into the night, I decided to go and get a drink from the bar. Except my beverage of choice was now water, of course.

Pulling a glass from of the dish rack, I turned the tap before sculling the entire thing in what felt like two seconds flat.

Wiping my mouth with my sleeve, I let out a shriek when I saw him clearly for the first time.

Stepping into view from the door frame, his features were harsh and unforgiving.

Suddenly, I felt distinct regret for how I spoke to him earlier. Had I had any knowledge of just how imposing he was, I would never have spoken to him the way I did.

Eyeing him carefully, I gently placed the glass back down on the counter top before gulping in regret and began fidgeting nervously.

"What's the matter, cat got your tongue this morning Edie?"

Trying to stifle nervous laughter, I tried to pry my eyes from his, but I couldn't tear my gaze away.

What the hell was wrong with me.

It was apparent he was a few years older than me. His eyes looked almost black, matching his wavy hair that he'd just ran his fingers through.

It was strange. He looked almost battle worn, like he'd lived a thousand years, with a thousand tales to tell. A small scar etched its way through his eyebrow, and his stubble made him look all the more wild and untamed.

I couldn't even bring myself to answer him, I just stood there gawking as his frame filled the one he was leaning against, the tight black shirt he was wearing further emphasizing just how intimidating he appeared.

I had never seen anyone that looked so completely undomesticated. It did something to me that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Fear was part of it, but not all.

Shaking the thought, I offered my penance, "Thank you for letting me stay last night. I really appreciate your kindness."

I looked up at him through my lashes, and met his intense gaze.

"It was nothing. Why are you here, in Haven anyway? We don't normally get passers by."

My brows furrowed in confusion.

"Have I done something wrong?"

"No. I'm merely curious how you found us. We aren't on any maps after all."