9 | Lucky & Starstruck

Chapter Nine: Lucky & Starstruck

"i'm not saying that i am perfect. make
mistakes, but I make 'em worth it,"
~ ryland james

━━━━༻❁༺━━━━

   I was zipping up my luggage with a grimace as I tried to close it with everything inside.

   While I knew there were more things inside because of the candles I was packing, trying to zip it was a serious workout.

   "Clover! Breakfast!" Mom bellowed from downstairs.

   A yelp left me when the zipper suddenly moved quickly from my force. "Okay!" I shouted in reply before sighing with relief.

   I stepped away from by bed before dropping my luggage on its feet next to me. Deciding it would be a later problem to bring it down, I turned to my mirror behind me and straightened my sky blue sweatpants and white, ribbed tank top.

   Days passed since Thanksgiving, it now being Saturday. Jared and I saw each other a few times since then, but I spent most of the time with family. Mom's birthday was yesterday, so I hadn't seen him since Thursday.

   Reaching the bottom of the spiral staircase, I walked past the archway and entered the wide space, seeing my family seated in the six-seater, circular table right in front of the island.

    Random discussions bounced between us until we finished and cleaned up. With that, I jogged to the basement entrance and headed to my workstation. I made a batch of caramel macchiato candles impulsively last night, so I needed to remove the popsicle sticks that were keeping the wicks straight before cutting them.

   I grabbed three and jogged upstairs again, only for my feet to freeze the second I opened the basement door. Despite me being in the living room now, I could hear the voices by the front of the house, clear as day.

   "Well, it was very sweet for you to bring," mom gushed, sounding so... unlike herself.

   Jared's familiar, soft chuckle echoed throughout the house. "It was no problem. It was the least we could do after Monday."

   I didn't realize that I was gripping the handle of the door harshly until I slightly stepped forward, only for the floorboard to creak from underneath me.

   "Clover?" Mom called out after a moment of silence. "Is that you?"

   After giving myself a few seconds to catch my breath, I released the handle and stepped away from the door before closing it shut behind me. "Yeah!"

   There wasn't a response until I turned the corner next to me, only to immediately lock eyes on Jared, who was standing in front of the door, hands shoved in his jean pockets.

   He smiled amusingly when our eyes met, but said nothing until mom spoke. "Look what Gloria made for us. How sweet," she smiled, lifting her hands to reveal zucchini bread in a pan.

   Mom was holding it with a plaid kitchen towel while in her baggy, dark grey dress that ended by her knees. Her dark hair was left down but held back by a clip, revealing the tired lines around her eyes.

   "You going back today?" Jared asked, my eyes swinging back to his.

   I parted my lips but quickly closed them before nodding. "Yes, she'll be leaving. But sadly Cyrus isn't being the best brother," mom sighed, my confused eyes searching for hers.

   She, however, was watching Jared. "How about you? When are you leaving?"

    "Right now, actually," he admitted while I gaped at my mother. What did she think she was doing?