21 | Lucky & Broken

Chapter Twenty-One: Lucky & Broken

"they say I did something bad,
then why's it feel so good?"
~ taylor swift

━━━━༻❁༺━━━━

third person
point of view

   Liana was panicking inside, but she knew Matt was watching her, with that sick gleam in his eye that only meant business. What the hell was going on?

   She kept her expression neutral, taking a step toward Jared's door. "I'm gonna bring the camera." She forced a smirk on her lips, but felt sick inside.

    Matt was already in the process of sitting on the edge of the bed, hand grazing Clover's unmoving leg. "I get bored easily, Liana. Hurry or I'll start without you."

    With that, Liana forced herself to remain calm as she strolled to the door, closing it softly shut behind her. She leaned her shoulder into it and took a shaky breath before a tear began to slip out.

   Her eyes scanned the hall before running out, desperate for help.

   Jared was standing next to the couch, unable to be still while his eyes glazed over people kissing or celebrating the new year. He'd wanted to kiss Clover, but she was nowhere to be seen.

   He felt himself fuming at the thought of her ex-boyfriend making a move on her, but he forced himself to remember that she didn't have feelings for him. The words she mumbled in the bathroom returned, and he felt himself relaxing.

   His eyes stopped their assault on the crowd when he spotted Liana shoving herself through, tears streaming on her face. He watched her, confused, but not making an effort to go to her. She was speaking rapidly to someone, their back to him, but he straightened when they pointed in his direction.

   Liana's eyes landed on Jared not a second later, her lips parting before she nearly ran toward him. "J-Jared," she choked out, grabbing his hand. But he snapped it out of her hold.

   "What is it, Liana?" His eyes jumped back to her red ones and frowned. "Why are you crying?"

   She ignored his question and reached out for his elbow. "Please, just come with me. Matt—" She inhaled sharply, but she'd already gotten his attention.

   "What about Matt?" He demanded, glaring.

   "He said something about Adrianna," she shook her head and pulled him toward her. "Please just come with me. Matt's with Clover in your room. He—"

   Jared didn't need to hear anymore. Hearing Clover's name was enough to spur him into action, shoving people aside quickly before throwing his bedroom door open.

   He felt his chest heaving, but when he saw his best friend, he felt his eyes bulging as everything turned red. Matt's knees were on either side of Clover, hands caressing her thighs as she laid there, unconscious.

   Matt's gaze rounded to him, and Jared's lips curled into disgust when he failed to see anything behind his friends gaze. Not surprise, not even regret.

   He felt his veins pulsing in his neck as he ran forward, gripping the collar of Matt's shirt and ripping him off Clover. "You fucking shit," he hissed as he fell to the floor, landing on his back.

   Everything blurred when Jared fell on top of him, landing punch after punch. Matt didn't fight back, besides the occasional dodging. By the end of his assault, he felt his fists throbbing, but he couldn't stop.