Chapter Fourteen

Elizabeth POV

I could feel my heart racing. The feeling of joy and relief spread across my face every time I looked at my review mirror and saw the small blonde girl asleep in the backseat.

I just ended my phone call with Nicholas updating on our arrival time. I had so many thoughts cross my mind especially old thoughts.. ones I relive every night in my dreams.

17 years earlier

It had seemed like the rain would never end. The downpour that was happening was the first In many many years. A young girl walked the streets slowly she crept towards the fire station knowing exactly where to go. Of course, she knew because she had been on the fence for months on what to do about her current situation.  She stood quietly against the building trying to get some shelter away from the rain. With one arm she pulled off the heavy blanket that was wrapped around her. She produced the small sleeping little human she had been holding tightly to her chest.  She could feel her eyes start to well up and the tears started to drip down her cheeks. This was the hardest decision ever but she knew it would be the only way they both would have a chance.  She hadn't meant to get pregnant so young but when it happened she pushed fear of the unknown aside and tried to be excited with the thought of having a son or daughter. Unfortunately, the plan had a chance dramatically and this was the only option she had to make sure they both would be able to survive in this world.   The baby's father had left them. Deserted them like they were nothing and once her parents found out they were less than pleased. All the plans they had for their daughter would have to be put on hold due to the tragic accident growing in her womb. The ultimatum was given. and as much as she didn't want to she knew that this was the best option... It was her only option and as much as it made her sick. She just hoped her baby would be taken care of and be safe where ever she ended up.

Tearfully the young woman wrapped her small human in the thick blue blanket and kissed it gently so as not to wake it. Gently putting the child on the door stoop the young girl wiped her eyes with her sweatshirt. I will always be watching my baby. I'm so sorry I failed you. I tried I did. I love you. Please never forget that.  She gently put an envelope on the baby before ringing the bell to the door and running off into the rain. She hid behind a parked car as she watched the fire hall door open producing a tall dark-haired sleepy-looking man she watched as her baby was picked up and brought inside quickly.   She could feel the rainwater seeping through her clothes drenching her skin she started walking back him bawling her eyes out.  Would she ever be able to forgive herself she
questioned.

-------------------------------------------------------

Elizabeth's POV

Elizabeth tearfully wiped the tears going down her cheeks as she felt her heart finally becoming whole again. She thought back to when she was that teenage girl and she had to give up her baby. She finally she could make up for the last 17 years she lost with her little girl.   I promise Gracie... Mommy is here and you will never have to worry about another thing again. I got you and I won't ever leave you again.  Elizabeth whispered to the sleeping girl behind her.