Thirteen: Slytherin v Gryffindor

Finding the rat was damn near impossible.

After Sirius's visit to the Gryffindor commonroom; security had been strengthened, curfews were mandatory, and Ron Weasley was hailed a hero as he went around telling the story of how Sirius Black tried to attack him.

It was absolutely ridiculous how he was acting, but Thomas was starting to feel like Ron didn't even have Scabbers. Not once in his many retellings did he even mention the rat. Surely it would've been by his bedside, or he would've made up how Scabbers bit the man or something akin to that.

Now Thomas was stumped. Where was Peter Pettigrew?

He would try to ask Remus, but he was being watched like a hawk by Professor McGonnagall. Speaking of Professor McGonnagall—

"How are you fairing, Neville?" Thomas saw the Gryffindor sitting alone in Transfiguration. Thomas had gotten to class early, as he liked picking his seat, but he didn't expect Neville to be there too.

He heard that it was Neville who was responsible for Sirius to break in. Thomas knew that it wasn't his fault and he didn't appreciate Neville's house turning its back on him. Neville already lacked confidence, so Thomas knew this had a great effect on him.

"I'm a lousy wizard," he stated miserably. "I oughta be a squib."

Thomas sighed. He took a seat next to Neville.

"I'm really sorry Neville. Everything's all mucked up now and Sirius shouldn't have gotten you all jumbled into it." Thomas apologized.

"He asked me for them." Said Neville. "I gave it to him cause I trusted you. I trusted Luna."

"And you did the right thing," said Thomas. "And I'm sorry that it looks bad now, but everyone's gonna be singing a different tune. I'll let everyone know that you helped me prove him innocent. You helped us catch Peter Pettigrew."

"Really? You'd do that for me?"

Thomas nodded. "Neville you're a great wizard. You're brave, even though you don't think you are. I didn't even know Sirius spoke to you."

"Well...it was more like he dragged me into a classroom and demanded my list of passwords." Said Neville. "But I told him that Thomas believed in him, so I do too."

Thomas smiled at that. Soon other students began to make their way in. Some spared glances at the two in the back, but Thomas didn't care. Neville was his best friend.

— —

Fred and George's brooms were destroyed.

Harry came up to Thomas in a rage. Thomas didn't see him at first as he was with Draco out in the corridor. It was Draco who alerted him of Harry's arrival.

Thomas looked concerned. "What's wrong Harry—"

"She destroyed their brooms! They were in the locker room burnt to ash!" He exclaimed. Thomas looked shocked. Kendra didn't say she was going to destroy the brooms!

He sounded remorseful. "Harry, I'm sorry! I didn't know—"

"The match is in three days! What are we going to do?"

"Well, seems like Slytherin's going to win this year, Potter!" Sneered Draco. "I'm glad those brooms were turned to ash, those fossils were dead in the sky anyways."

Harry turned on Draco angrily. "Can't you just shut up, Malfoy?"

Draco sneered."Or what, Potter? Want me to put you in the hospital wing before the match?"

Thomas was tired of the two and their rivalry. "Alright you two, knock it off—"

"Ahem!" Thomas noticed Kendra who was walking over looking pleased as punch. Harry whipped around and turned on her.