Nineteen: The Row

There is no heterosexual way to explain this chapter

— —

"I can't believe you picked that bloody bird."

Thomas grinned as he proudly showed off his new pet.

When he went to the Magical Menagerie he was hellbent on getting his first owl. He was tired of not being able to send letters with his own, having to rely on Hedwig or Sirius's owl Champion to do the job.

When he stepped foot inside the shop he asked for the best owl they had. He wanted one that was great at tracking, flew really fast, and was as sharp as a tack.

Instead, he got Griffin.

"Aww but look at him 'mione! Isn't he the cutest owl you've ever seen?" Griffin was the last of his parliament. The shop keep said he bumped his head as a baby and since then he wasn't all there. But he was trained and he did his duties well and that was enough for Thomas.
When Thomas swung by his cage it did everything to catch his attention. He was a barn owl with a white face and brownish grey speckled feathers and he had big dark eyes that looked quite adorable when he cocked his head to the side.

"Atleast he's better than pig." Said Ron.

"Every bird is better than pig..."

"There you are!" In the bustling crowd they were able to see Remus towering over the witches and wizards on the busy street. He and Sirius joined them with books in hand.

"We purchased your books this year." Said Sirius. "Open your purse Hermione, these things are heavy."

The young woman obliged, opening her bag that shouldn't be able to carry it, but it all magically fit inside.

"Is that everything on the list?" Thomas asked them.

Sirius nodded. "Yes, that's all. Would you like lunch at Tom's or at home?"

"Home please." Said Thomas as he really wanted to get back.

"Tom's."

"The Leaky Cauldron."

"Since we're here we could pop by the Leaky Cauldron."

Thomas looked at the others. "Traitors."

The adults laughed. "Majority rules. C'mon Thomas, we'll make it worth your while."

They walked back to the Leaky Cauldron. It was crowded that day adding to his unease. He was still bad with crowds and he didn't think it would get any better. Thomas hid his distaste with a blank stare as they sat down.

Sirius clapped him on the back. "Now, Thomas, it's not so bad. Stop moping!"

He tried and failed to fight against a smile. "Not moping Sirius, I'm in mourning. I might find a hair in my food again..." Being around family did make Thomas open up more. He was slowly starting not to regret being out with them.