Getting to know you

As the kiss broke, she drew a shuddered breath, trying to regain her composure. "That was..." she replied, holding her hand to her chest, afraid that her heart might literally beat out of it. "Forgive me..." she said, shaking her head. "I know the rules for men and women are often very different. Your history with kisses and... whatever else... is probably much more extensive..."

Her cheeks were on fire, burning with embarrassment at even speaking of such tawdry things. He was her husband. She didn't have to be embarrassed at affection, but it had been drilled into her so repeatedly that she couldn't push it down entirely.

"Speaking of... whatever else..." she looked away for a moment. "That's... what I'm most nervous about." she paused a moment, then thought what her words might mean to him. Her emerald eyes flew open in worry he might misunderstand.

"I mean! Not—not... being with you per se. Just... the whole bedding ceremony..." she bit lightly at her plump lower lip as she looked back at him. "It's...nerve wracking enough just to...be intimate for the first time...ever..." this felt so strange to talk about, but he had asked. "Without the whole... being undressed by strangers and having them stalk outside the door to see if we're actually consummating our marriage..."

He had managed it, drawn her in, and gotten her to open up. His smile widened to even larger than when he had first lifted the veil. She was becoming his now. He could feel it. Her face flushed red with embarrassment just made him think of how much life was in her, and the way she bit at her lip made him quiver inside.

"My sweet, the bedding ceremony is an old and outdated tradition. I too would not be at my most comfortable with everyone being so... present throughout. I will make the announcement at the reception. There will be no bedding ceremony. Only me, my wife, and the joy of our first night alone together. The staff may check our sheets tomorrow, but apart from that, the occasion is ours." He hoped that might calm her nerves and earn her trust all at once.

Truth be told, he had no plans to uphold the bedding ceremony, anyway. He would have either dismissed the bedding ceremony or compelled everyone to leave. However, getting her to say it and doing it this way was so much more perfect. It made him more of the caring and loving husband, and it had broken that wall she had put up in front of him.

"My love, we are wed now. Husband and wife. I know some husbands prefer their wives to be nothing more than things, but I do not. You are Natalia, and with me, you can truly be Natalia. Whether its something you want to say or do. I want you to feel that you can." He said it all with an air of confidence and authority. He brushed her cheek with his soft hand before dropping it respectfully again. It was almost like using compulsion without actually using it. Just winding his words around her like his cloak, making her feel safe, secure, and cared for.

She breathed a small sigh of relief. That ceremony was a nightmare come to life in her mind. At least he agreed with her and wasn't angry she wished it to be a more private affair. She didn't mind if someone came to check the sheets and change them the next morning. That would probably be warranted on all accounts.

As he brushed her cheek, she felt herself leaning in toward him, wanting to drink in this moment. She wished they didn't have to play host to all the others in attendance. It would be so nice if they could just be...together and get comfortable with one another. By the time they were finally getting there, they'd be whisked away.

"We can't just hide from everyone altogether though, I suppose?" Natalia laughed slightly. She was talented at politics and pleasantries, but it didn't mean she had to enjoy them. She took the hand he had brushed her cheek with in her own and delicately held it, noting how cold his hands were. Perhaps it was because she now wore the cloak, which was part of custom, but still.