Resolve

Suddenly, another thought occurred to her. Pure vampires were born of a male vampire and female human. He needed an heir and an heir alone, and giving birth to the child might kill her.

"What happens if it isn't a boy?" She asked, not knowing if there was some magical way they only produced male heirs. Clearly a girl would be of very little use to them, and they couldn't just have a dozen more children in hopes of eventually spawning a boy. It would literally kill her. So was she doomed to death if she didn't have an heir? Or if she survived, would they expect her to try again and risk death once more? Or would they just let her die so he could have another shot without having to explain why his wife could no longer bear children?

Marcello wasn't sure how to answer, choking on the words he didn't know how to speak. How could he possibly tell her that in the event of a girl she only had two options: try again and again until she either died or had a son, or choose to be turned after the first and not be the mother of the heir? That some other woman would have to be impregnated at a later point in secret, and she would essentially pass her plight to another girl while also knowing the line wouldn't be continued by her.

He couldn't force that upon her. It wasn't fair. This was precisely why it would've been easier if he had no feelings for her. "If it's a girl... Then we have a beautiful baby girl. No one will ask any more of you after. I'll make sure of it. You have my word." He neglected to point out that at some point he would have to have an heir, but right now this was all about damage control and keeping her from becoming hysterical.

"We will help you through this. I know it's hard to trust me, but I want to keep you alive and healthy just as much as you do." He could see it in her teary eyes. She was looking at him completely differently, conflicted between the prince she had fallen in love with and the demon inside that was emerging in her mind. No one had ever looked at him like that before, like he was something to be feared or despised.

"Please stop looking at me like that, Nat..." he begged, some sadness surfacing into his voice.

"I'm... I'm sorry..." she stammered, then buried her head in his chest. She wasn't sure if she was capable of not looking at him like that, but she was capable of not looking at all. Despite how afraid she still was of him, there was still some comfort in being against him. The tears were still falling, soaking his shirt. But she couldn't help herself. She was terrified. It was so much to process.

As her mind played back his words, the one thing that stood out above it all was that he said everything with such compassion, like he truly loved her. Had that not been a lie?

Her training had not prepared her for this, but it had taught her that her husband and his wishes came before her own. No matter what they were. And these... these were his wishes. It wouldn't be a normal pregnancy, but it was still a child. It was still their child.

"Alright..." she said finally, lifting her head and looking into his eyes. The fear was still there, but it wasn't a fear of him. It was a fear of this, but there was a determination there too. "I will do whatever it takes. I will carry our child. I will survive." She wasn't sure if 'survive' meant until the child was born, and she could be turned; or to live on past that. That was a bridge they would cross later.

Even though he could see she was hurting and afraid, he couldn't contain his excitement. His father had told him horror stories of his grandfather having to compel his wife to stay in one room and never resist out of fear. He ruined her by forcing control, and she did not survive after childbirth. It had been his greatest fear that he would have to do the same.

Marcello hugged her to him, pulling her into his lap, wrapping his arms around her, cradling her to his chest. "You are truly wonderful. The bravest woman I have ever met, and I love you so much." He stayed, clutching her, stroking her back as she let it all out. They could stay there as long as she needed, and he would stay by her side as long as she wanted.