Death Jeopardy

There was screaming, yelling, and crying all around the room as people were falling slowly into glass cubicles. About eight glass boxes were around the room, which only made people wonder what this was all about. Once every cubicle was filled, a screen turned on in the front of the room, and everyone went silent. Everyone, including Jamie, watched the screen. It was blank.

"Hello everyone, and welcome to my favorite game. Today's precious contestants will be fighting for the right to freedom. When your box lights up yellow, it means it is your turn. You will have one minute to answer the question given to you from your selected category. If you fail to do so, there will be a consequence. May the best person win," said a deep voice.

After it went quiet, the glass box to the right of Jamie had lit up with a bright yellow color. The man in it looked genuinely terrified as the screen began to list the categories in front of them.

There were three, Nature, Art, and Religion. The man yells out art and is given the choice of Artists or Artwork. He chooses artwork. He did not even think much about it, and he was too afraid to go against the voice.

The question pops up onto the screen, 'How many paintings were made by the famous artist Picasso?'

The man pondered his answer and hesitated. He feared what could happen if he got it wrong. He did not think he would have a choice in the matter. If he did not answer, something terrible would happen. He was sure. Then finally yelled out, "20,000."

"Oh my, that is incorrect. Time for your consequence. Because you have failed to answer the question correctly, precious boy, your box will be filled with all of the paint Picasso used on his paintings."

Gallons upon gallons of paint started to pour into the man's cubicle. It came from the same tube that he had fallen into the box with at the beginning of this. He tried to keep above the paint, but as the colors filled the box, it started to weigh him down. His shrieks of terror were enough to make a person go mad as desperate he was to get out of there. The paint gradually made it over the man's head, and he was seen no more. Not too long after, the box was completely filled with paint, and the man could no longer be heard; he was presumed dead.

"So, what? Is our consequence to be killed? What right do you have to bring us here and force us to do this?" Yelled out a woman from the back of the room.

"My precious young lady, I have needs, and so does everyone else. It is my choice on how I deal with those needs," the deep voice uttered.

The deep voice went silent, and just like that, the woman's box lit up bright yellow light. It was her turn. She wanted nothing to do with this. It was unfair to put them through this. She was shown the categories, nature, art, and religion but decided not to pick anything.

After a few minutes of waiting, the deep voice said, "if no answer is given, I will just go straight to punishment."

She thought about it. This may be unfair, but it was to answer a question and maybe survive or die. What choice did she have? She picked and yelled, "Nature." Then she was given two options. One was animals and the other plants. She cried, "animals."

'What is an animal that has a very distinctive smell?' popped onto the board. She was swift with her answer and said, "it is a skunk."

"You are correct, my precious girl. You may proceed to the next round," said the deep voice.

Jamie looked over to her left and noticed an older man around 60 was in the box next to her. He looked frail and weak. It was his box that lit up next. He chose the same category with no hesitation, thinking that the question would be easy as the one before.