I Win

It was nearly lunch by the time I got a free moment, and I dialed him up, from my personal phone, hoping he wouldn't just dismiss the call since it was an unfamiliar number.

After a few rings, his voice came through, questioning.

   "Hello? Who is this?"

   "Hi, it's me," I said, immediately wondering why I hadn't actually identified myself. I put my palm on my forehead.

   "Winnie," I could hear the smile on his face. That was a good thing, right? And he'd recognized my voice. Surely that was an even better thing.

   "I'm sorry I missed you last night," I started an apology.

   "DId you?" He asked.

   This took me a moment. "Did I what?"

   "Miss me. I missed you." He said it matter-of-factly, like it was the most natural thing in the world to miss me after one night of cuddling and kissing.

   "Did you, now?" What was he saying?

   I heard the dog bark, and he took a moment to hush her. "I did. I want to see you."

   I smiled and decided to play a little, even though my heart was about to pound its way out of my ribcage. "Well, I'll be there tomorrow. You can watch me scrub your bathtub."

   "As hot as that sounds," he laughed. "I mean today. Can't you skip out a bit early?"

   I thought this over. Barry had accepted, we’d agreed on  his raise and I had decided his first task as assistant was to call the applicant I was interested in and set up an interview. The ordering really could wait until tomorrow...check, check, check, my day was freeing itself up. “Well, if you can give me a little time to change, we can hang out. I don’t want to spend the whole time in my polo and khakis this time around.”

   “You look better in a polo and khakis than anyone I’ve ever known,” he said. “You really rock a giant tee shirt too, but promise me you’ll wear something else.”

   I agreed to let him pick me up at my place, dropped my key to the office (somewhat nervously) into Barry’s hand, and practically floated out the door. The trip home was short, and I’d already decided what to wear by the time I got in the door. The weather was perfect that day. The sun was out, there was a slight breeze, and it wasn’t too hot. The uniform came off, and my favorite red shorts went on, followed quickly by a tank top and a breezy button down shirt, open but tied up in front.

   I regarded myself in the mirror, sizing up my petite features. My mother always says I have an Audrey thing going, but Isabel is closer to that with her elfin features and darker hair. My light brown hair bordered on dark blond, and fell to my shoulder. I stared at my reflection for a few moments before simply brushing out my hair and piling it high on top of my head. There wasn’t time for much else before the door buzzed.

   I opened the window and leaned out. “Hey, come on up,” I said, resting on my elbows.

   Sebastian didn’t move for a moment or two. He just stood there, stance wide, one hand in his pocket, looking at me. He licked his lips and shook his head, and then he was through the door, and up the stairs faster than I could believe. I had been wondering what was going to happen when we saw one another again. Would he kiss me? Would I be able to keep myself from wrapping my arms around him?

   “Hey,” he said, stepping into the apartment the instant I opened the door.

   “You don’t even really have to buzz you know. The door down there won’t keep you out. You should just come up.” I walked to the counter to grab my keys, and as I turned back around, he was there, grabbing my waist and pulling me into a fierce kiss.