Location, Location, Location

About a month later, I stood in Bonnie's giant kitchen, seasoning chicken while she sipped something disconcertingly green. I didn't have the faintest idea what it was, and I didn't want to know.

   "How goes the apartment hunt?" She asked.

   That had been a source of frustration for me, and I groaned. "Everything is too pricey, too ugly, or too far from where I need to be," I complained.

   "Does that mean Sunnyside or Sebastian?"

   I smiled and shook my head, pretending to fling a little salt at her. "That poor man. He's been trying so hard to help me out, and I'm being so picky."

My personal phone went off in my back pocket and I grabbed for it. "Somebody's ears must have been burning," I said.

   "Well, don't mind me. Answer it, for heaven's sake."

   I put the phone to my ear. "Hi."

   "Hey," Sebastian said. "What are you doing later?"

   It was a weird question. He knew what I was doing. He almost always knew. What was he up to?

   "I don't have anything on the agenda" I said, looking at Bonnie and shrugging.

   "Okay, don't make any plans."

   I smiled mischievously at Bonnie. "No promises. I can't really be on a personal call right now, Seb,"

   He laughed. "You're at Bonnie's. She doesn't care. Are we playing this game right now?"

   "Maybe. I have to go, I'm full of chicken."

   "Okay, I get it. No personal calls right now." He disconnected. I put the phone back in my pocket.

   "No goodbye?" Bonnie sounded concerned.

   "Wait for it," I said.

   "Come again?"

   "Any second now," I placed my work cell on the counter. "Any second." The phone started vibrating and slithering across the granite.

   Bonnie laughed and clapped her hands before silencing herself with another sip of her green concoction.

   "Sunnyside Services," I said into the phone.

   "I have made a terrible, terrible mess in my bedroom, and need you to come help me out as soon as you can," Sebastian sounded amused.

   "I see. I can send Barry over now if you can't wait," Bonnie clapped a heavily ringed hand over her mouth and I silently hushed her.

   "I'm requesting you personally. Barry is very good at his job, but he's not my type."

   "Is that all you'll be needing?"

   "Actually, I need you to keep an open mind and meet me somewhere later,"

   Bonnie was clearly able to hear him, and looked like curiosity was about to be the death of her. It was definitely getting its clutches in me too.

   I dropped character. "Interesting. Where?"

   "I'll text you the address," he said.

   "Sounds great. I'll let you know when I'm done with work," I said.

   "I'll talk to you then. Bye," He spoke louder, "Goodbye, Bonnie!"

   I giggled as I hung up.

   "Any idea what he has up his sleeve?" Bonnie asked, her fingers playing with her necklace. She got fidgety when she was excited.

   "No idea," I shook my head. "He's full of surprises sometimes."