Stan

Anthony Mackie is a dream. He's hilarious, he speaks his mind, and he is a mean karaoke performer. I know because that was how he decided to break the ice that night. We'd never met before, so naturally we needed to get drunk and sing off-key to one another. That was also the night I finally introduced Sebastian to Sam.

Since she and I had met, we had been out to test two more lipsticks, gone to lunch, and had a girls night in.

I really liked her, and even at that point in our new friendship, lying to her made me uncomfortable. I was feeling quite guilty that I hadn't told her yet who "Stan" really was. I didn't know why I'd been been so hesitant; maybe I needed to be sure she liked me for me.

Sebastian, Anthony, and I sat laughing over drinks and my horrible rendition of "Freebird" when I got the first text from her that evening.

SAM H: I'm suffocating under the weight of this awful assignment. Send help. Preferably help with beer.

I chuckled, and sent her a picture of my drink, getting a response in practically no time.

SAM H: You think you're so funny. *death rattle*

I laughed again, and Sebastian asked what was so funny, so I showed him the texts.

"Why don't you just invite her out? I think they have enough beer here for one more?" He looked at Anthony, wordlessly looking for his agreement.

"Absolutely, the more the merrier. Stan's paying anyway."

"I'm what?" Sebastian asked.

"I'm from out of town! Guests don't pay," Anthony said, crossing his arms over his chest.

While they jokingly argued over the tab, I gave Sam a call and asked her to join us. She was more than happy to accept the invitation.

"You know I still haven't told her who you really are, right?" I leaned to Sebastian and asked.

He hit me with his big blue eyes. "Look, you're spending an awful lot of time with her. She's going to find out eventually. Might as well be tonight."

"Hold up," Anthony interrupted. "This woman is your friend and you still haven't told her about your man, here?"

"She knows about him. She just doesn't know his real name, or what he does for a living, or what he looks like..." I trailed off.

"Uh huh," he looked at me blankly for a moment, while Sebastian chuckled into his beer. "What exactly are you afraid of?"

"I'm not afraid," I argued.

"Oh, right, right, I get it now," he looked at Sebastian. "She's embarrassed of you, Stan." He took a long drink of his beer.

Sebastian laughed his big, open mouthed laugh. "That's cold."

"I don't blame you, Winnie. Take away his perfect hair and what are you left with?" Both men were laughing now.

Sebastian put his hand on my leg. "I get it Win, it's okay. You like me for my hair."

"Don't flatter yourself," I teased. "It's that chin. The hair's just okay." I put my hand on top of Sebastian's and laced my fingers between his, hoping he'd let me hold his hand as long as it was under the table.

"Seriously though, at first I didn't tell her the truth because I'd just met her, and I didn't know what it was, exactly, that was happening between Seb and I. I'm still just getting to know her, and I guess there needed to be a certain amount of trust there before I let her know. Probably habit from years of confidentiality agreements with clients."