part one - The Sandlot

Intro -
𝗧𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹-𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲, 𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗺𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗶𝗻 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗵𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘀. 𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝗶𝘁 𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝟭𝟵𝟯𝟮 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱 𝘀𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀. 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝗴𝗼𝗲𝘀, 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗼𝗺 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗵 𝗶𝗻𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴, 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝘄𝗼 𝗼𝘂𝘁𝘀, 𝗮 𝗳𝘂𝗹𝗹 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗻𝘁, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗮 𝘁𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗿𝘂𝗻-𝗼𝗻 𝗯𝗮𝘀𝗲, 𝗕𝗮𝗯𝗲 𝗥𝘂𝘁𝗵 𝗿𝗮𝗶𝘀𝗲𝗱 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗺, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗽𝗼𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝗳𝗶𝗲𝗹𝗱 𝗯𝗹𝗲𝗲𝗰𝗵𝗲𝗿𝘀. 𝗡𝗼 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘁, 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗻𝗼𝗯𝗼𝗱𝘆 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗶𝘁 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗕𝗮𝗯𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘁. 𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘅𝘁 𝗽𝗶𝘁𝗰𝗵, 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁 𝗕𝗮𝗺𝗯𝗶𝗻𝗼 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗮 𝗧𝗢𝗪𝗘𝗥𝗜𝗡𝗚, 𝟰𝟬𝟬 𝗳𝗼𝗼𝘁 𝗵𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗿𝘂𝗻. 𝗔𝗻𝗱 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝗹𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗮 𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗼 𝗯𝗲𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗻, 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁𝘀 𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘁𝘁𝘆 𝗺𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗮 𝗹𝗲𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗱. 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀 𝗹𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿, 𝗮 𝗸𝗶𝗱 𝗻𝗮𝗺𝗲𝗱 '𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗷𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗻 𝗙𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗸𝗹𝗶𝗻 𝗥𝗼𝗱𝗿𝗶𝗴𝘂𝗲𝘇' 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗮 𝗻𝗲𝗶𝗴𝗵𝗯𝗼𝗿𝗵𝗼𝗼𝗱 𝗹𝗲𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗱. 𝗜𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝘆 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲, 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝘂𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗺𝗲 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝘁𝗼 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆 𝗯𝗮𝘀𝗲𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹, 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗺𝘆 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱, 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝗺𝗲 𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗶𝗴𝗴𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗽𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗹𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗶 𝗵𝗮𝗱 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗯𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗶𝗻. 𝗘𝘃𝗲𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵, 𝗶 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗮 𝗴𝗶𝗿𝗹.

———————————————————————————
third person -
(Finger Poppin' Time playing)

He hits the ball with his bat, then dropping the bat and sprinting to make a home run. He gets stuck in between two people, throwing the ball back and fourth. "Pickle! Go on! Go!" a red-haired boy says, standing up and other boys following, getting closer to their friend. the first boy runs past the one other boy and stomps on home plate. His friends run to him and he shakes their hands, and high-fiving.

y/n -
i'm unpacking the U-Haul boxes out of the moving truck when a boy walks by. Looks about my age, maybe a year older, about my height too, maybe a foot taller, brown hair, brown eyes, jeans, a t-shirt, and a flannel on top, and he's holding a baseball glove. i'll admit, he's cute, but not my type. I give a friendly wave to the boy and he gives me a welcoming head nod then walks home and i continue to unload my belongings.

~time skip to nighttime~

i mix my strawberry powder into the white milk, making strawberry milk as i see Bill unpacking his baseball stuff. he loved baseball too, as did i, but he had a lot of bobble heads, baseballs, baseball gloves, baseball bats, etc. i walk to the door and knock on it, getting a 'yeah' from Bill, showing i'm aloud in. Bill was my step-dad, my real dad died when i was just a little kid. Mom married Bill about a year before we moved to the Valley, and we were still warming up to each other. "uhm, dad?" i ask. "mhm?" Bill replies. "i mean uh- uh Bill. Remember you- you promised to teach me how to play baseball?" i question. "mhm." he answers. "well....could you teach me?" i repeat. "...sure." he answers. "great, thank you." i thank him and go to my room.

~next morning~

i run out the front door, my skirt flowing in the wind. i had heard the one boy i saw yesterday say '9:00 tomorrow' to another boy, so i had got up at 8, just to get ready. so i could follow them, and play baseball. i hadn't even brought a glove or anything, cus i didn't have one.

"come on, Bertram!" i hear one of the boys say. there was 8 total, all being boys. they all look about my age, or at least around it. i'd say 10-13 years old, and i'm 12, so that made sense. i go over to where none of the boys are, not sure what to do. they're all just throwing a baseball around, not keeping score, not picking sides, and not even stopping. it's like a-
a dream game that goes on forever.

suddenly i hear dog growls and barks coming from the fence behind me, and it sounds like it's trying to get through the fence or something. it don't sound happy, that's for sure.

i was watching and listening to the thing behind the gate, when i hear a group of boys screaming "WATCH OUT!!". i turn around, trying to see who they're yelling at, and before i knew it, a baseball had hit me on the head and i fell to the ground. i hear all the boys start laughing, besides one. i get up, dust off my skirt and try to find the ball that hit me. i find it in a bush near the fence and go over to it and pick it up. well, try too. the dog snarls again and i hesitate. i quickly snatch up the ball as the dog, or thing, gets louder. i guess it might've took a second, because when i got up and looked at the group, they were all staring. "We're waiting!!" one of the boys says. "come on!! throw the ball!!" another boy says. they all start shouting at me, except the one i saw yesterday.

i try to throw the ball, but it lands straight on the ground infront of me again. once again, they all start laughing. i feel embarrassed and ashamed, so i wipe a tear and run back home.

~time skip to nighttime~

i was playing with a machine i had made earlier last summer, i had always been a smart girl and i loved to learn and build things. suddenly i hear a knock on my door and mom comes in, the metal ball hitting her square in the face. "oh! i'm sorry mom, it was an accident." i explain. she rubs her forehead, sits on my bed and pats next to her, indicating for me to sit down. i walk over to her and sit next to her on my bed.

"y/n, have you made any new friends?" she asks. "...no." i say after hesitating, thinking of my attempt earlier. "why not, honey?" she asks again. "...because i'm still new." i reply with a fake, half-smile. "i don't want you sitting in here all summer, fiddling with this stuff, like you did last summer, and the one before, and the one before that. i know you're smart, and i'm proud of you, but i want you to get out into the fresh air and make some friends. run around, scrape your knees, get dirty. climb trees, hop fences, get into trouble, for gods sake! not too much, but some. you have my permission. and how many mothers do you know that say something like that to their daughters?" she lectures, but also pep-talks. i chuckle, "well, no mothers, i guess" i answer her question. "honey, i want you to make some friends this summer. lots of them." she tells me. "yeah, i know. but i'm not good at anything, mom. face it, i'm just an egghead." i discourage myself and look at my feet. "oh, honey. you'll always be just and egghead with an attitude like that." she informs. she taps my head lightly and gets up. "get some sleep, y/n." she demands before walking out of my room and shutting the light off. her words keep re-playing in my head until i eventually fall asleep.