part five - The Sandlot

i was eating the last bit of my bread and twirling my hair with my finger when i hear a knock at the door. "i'll get it!"  i exclaim to my parents. i walk over to the door and it's Benny. "let's go, get your glove and come on!" he speaks really fast. "what's the big deal?" i ask. "night game, come on!" he tells me and i grab my hat and glove, "i'm going out!" i yell before running outside with Benny. there's a bunch of round tables in the caldisac with several people and food on a long, rectangle table. there is banners everywhere and decorations on houses, all red, white, and blue. there's firecrackers and fireworks being set off, making the night sky colorful. me and Benny go to the rest of the boys' houses, round them up, and we all start running towards the sandlot, well, besides Ham, he's getting some food.

------------------------------------------
𝗧𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝘆 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗻𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝗮 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿. 𝗢𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝟰𝘁𝗵 𝗼𝗳 𝗝𝘂𝗹𝘆, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗲 𝘀𝗸𝘆 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝘂𝗽 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸𝘀, 𝗴𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘂𝘀 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗲𝗻𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲. 𝗪𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗱 𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗯𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗻, 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗶 𝗴𝘂𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝘄𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗳𝗲𝗹𝘁 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗶𝗴 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗴𝘂𝗲𝗿𝘀, 𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘀 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗱𝗶𝘂𝗺. 𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗻𝘆 𝗳𝗲𝗹𝘁 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲. 𝗪𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗸𝗻𝗲𝘄 𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗴𝗼𝗻𝗻𝗮 𝗴𝗼 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝗶𝗴𝗴𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲𝘀, 𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝘄𝗲 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗽𝗽𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝘄𝗮𝘁𝗰𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗸𝘆 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗲 𝗻𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝘀, 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗴𝘂𝗹𝗮𝗿 𝗸𝗶𝗱𝘀, 𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗻𝘆 𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘂𝘀 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸. 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝘀𝗲𝗲, 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘂𝘀, 𝗯𝗮𝘀𝗲𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗮 𝗴𝗮𝗺𝗲. 𝗕𝘂𝘁 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗕𝗲𝗻𝗷𝗮𝗺𝗶𝗻 𝗙𝗿𝗮𝗻𝗸𝗹𝗶𝗻 𝗥𝗼𝗱𝗿𝗶𝗴𝘂𝗲𝘇, 𝗯𝗮𝘀𝗲𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲.
------------------------------------------
we started playing the game, the light of the fireworks brightening the field. as soon as Benny hits the ball and it goes flying, he drops the bat and starts running. of corse he gets a home-run, but not because he's good. because the rest of us were focused on the beautiful fireworks in the nighttime sky. they're so mesmerizing, absolutely beautiful. in that very moment, i had nothing on my mind. nothing. i'm just watching the fireworks boom into the sky, all different shapes and colors. i realize how much i have, and how grateful i should be. i'm surrounded by eight amazing boys, that make me laugh all the time without trying. i couldn't imagine my childhood, or even my entire life, without them. i'm surrounded by love, and happiness. and the best people i could ever ask for.

~next morning~

we were playing our usual game, and Benny gets stuck in a pickle. "PICKLE!!" Ham shouts. "yeah,yeah, get him!" Yeah-Yeah exclaims. everyone runs over to the pickle and Benny slips through and makes the home run, stomping on home plate and leaving a shoe imprint there, in the dirt that's piled on it. all the boys groan and i just laugh at their frustration.

we're laughing and groaning when Squints turns around, "oooohhhh nooooo" Squints exclaims and flails his arms. everyone turns around, including me, and everyone does the same as Squints, besides me. some boys on bikes were coming our way, and the boys clearly didn't like them that much. everyone throws their gloves on the ground and Benny throws the bat. we all walk closer to them, the gang stopping infront of us. Ham WAS NOT happy.