part eight - The Sandlot (with a twist😉)

"prepare to launch!" Ham and Timmy tell me as they lower the car-like thing down. it's now in the backyard of The Beast, "okay, you're on the ground." Squints tells me. "moving forward." i state, pushing the sloppy 'forward' label on the switch, that Squints had written.

i keep going, then stop, "go farther" Squints whisper-yells up to me. i go forward more, then stop. "you went to far, go back." Squints says to Timmy and Ham, "reverse." Timmy tells me, although i heard Squints. i push the sloppy 'backwas̸rds' switch that Squints had also written, and he wrote the wrong letter so improv came in clutch. i start to move the machine backwards, "stop." Squints instructs and i let go of the 'backwas̸rds' switch. Squints looks up at me, "drop catapult." he demands. i press the 'catapult' button and the mini, metal catapult that me, Yeah-Yeah, and Squints made drops.

me, Yeah-Yeah, and Squints had grown the most friendship over the time, and we were closer to each other than any of the other boys were, and we loved it.

Kenny takes a step back.

"the catapult is dropped." i whisper-yell down to Squints. he looks up from his cereal box binoculars, "open catapult." he instructs. "we're gonna get it. i know it. we're gonna get it." Bertram pep-talks, mostly himself, from behind me and on the ground. "opening...." i mutter.

"forward."

i slowly push the sloppy 'forward' switch again as i see The Beasts' chain move. out of fear, i let go of the switch.

"close catapult."

i guess i stopped perfect timing. i press the 'closey dosey' button, that Ham had labeled as a joke.

"catapults closed."

"we're gonna get it. come on." i hear Benny mumble and then smack the inside of his glove twice.

suddenly, i hear snarls and i can see the future. Squints bolts up, dropping the Wheaties box. "AHHH!! FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!" he screams at me. out of pure panic, i slam my hand on the 'fire!' button and i see the baseball go flying.

Benny backs up, "i got it! i got it! i got it!" he repeats. then, a huge dog head pops up from over the fence and leaps forward, the ball falling straight into its mouth and the dog landing back in the backyard. then The Beast starts chewing on and shaking the machine catapult thing, and everyone starts screaming. me, Ham, Timmy, and Tommy are screaming from the treehouse, looking down, while everyone else had ran to the back of the yard.

the machine bursts up in the air, and everyone screams, including me, not knowing if it's going to come flying at any of us. but thankfully, it just falls back into the backyard of The Beast, with a loud thud.

everything's silent. like it never happened. everyone's faces are just pure shock, and slowly turn into realization that.....that ball, is never to be seen again. that was our last chance. our last idea. our last choice.

we all walk out of the gate of the Timmons' backyard in silence, everyone shocked and extremely upset.

and all having no idea what to do.

~time skip to about 7pm~

i'm laying on my back on my bed, staring at my ceiling, trying to think of what to do to get Bill's baseball back. it's also raining, so i'm listening to that in the background of my thoughts as well.

then, i hear a slight knock at my window.

i look over at my curtains to see if i heard it right, and i was about to look back at the ceiling, figuring it was my imagination, when i hear the noise again. i scrunch my nose in confusion before i sit up. i swing my legs over the side of my mattress and stand up on the floor, my bare feet feeling the cold hardwood as i walk to my window. i open the curtains and to my surprise, there's Mr. Yeah-Yeah Mclennan, standing outside of my window, getting soaked.