part six - The Sandlot

~ next morning ~

me and mom walk out of the door, Bill loading his luggage into the car. "y/n, i'll be back in an hour. i'm gonna take your father to the airport." Mom states. "m'kay" i reply. "honey, are you feeling alright? you look kind of pale...." mom says, putting her hand on my forehead and feeling if it's warm. "yeah, i'm fine, mom." i lie. it'll be better if i didn't tell her about last night, she'll be all paranoid and wouldn't let me leave the house for a month. she's like that, but i love my mom. "you sure?" she asks again. "yeah, i'm fine, truly." i lie again. "alrighty." she gives in and walks over to the car.

"listen, y/n, while i'm gone, you be nice to your mother, okay? do what she says and don't get into mischief with Benny and them, okay?" Bill demands. "i promise i won't." i say, not knowing what was about to come for me while he was gone. "okay." Bill says, closing the trunk. "where're you going?" i ask. "Chicago. on business for a week." he answers. "oh, ok." i say as he gets in the car. i wave as the car pulls out of my driveway and goes on it's way.

i'm bored in my house, braiding my own hair when i hear a knock on my door. "one second!" i yell with a hair-tie in my mouth. i finish up the last braid, since i did two french braids, and tie it up. i get out of my seat and go to the door, and see Yeah-Yeah and Squints. "hey guys, what are you doing here?" i ask. "we're gonna go play ball, of corse! let's go!" Yeah-Yeah answers. i grab my glove and open the door, coming outside with the two boys. we run and catch up with the group, who's already half way down the street.

————————————————————-
𝗔 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝘆𝘀 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗯𝗶𝗴 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝘁𝘀, 𝘄𝗲 𝘀𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗼𝗳𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗳𝗳 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝘂𝗰𝗸 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗕𝗮𝘇𝗼𝗼𝗸𝗮 𝗚𝘂𝗺. 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝘄𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝘁𝗼𝗴𝗲𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝗼𝗺𝗲 𝗯𝗮𝘀𝗲𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹, 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗮𝘆 𝗶 𝗴𝗼𝘁 𝘂𝘀 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗶𝗴𝗴𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗽𝗶𝗰𝗸𝗹𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲....𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗶𝘁 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗮𝗻 𝗼𝗺𝗲𝗻.
————————————————————-

we walk to Vincent's Drug Store to get some more gum for everyone, since we ran out of our packs. we got two packs each, so it would last us all until about September, since it was only July 7th. we walk out of the store and go to the sandlot to play.

we get in our positions and start to play the game. Kenny throws the ball and Benny hits it. in fact, so hard that the outside of the ball falls off and i catch the inside string. i look at what i caught and everyone starts running to the outside that got exploded off, so i follow. everyone is standing in a circle around it, me inbetween Yeah-Yeah and Benny. "i don't believe it..." Squints says, softly. i move my arm a bit and me and Yeah-Yeah's hands brush. i look up at him for a milli-second then look back down. he moves his arm purposely to brush my hand again and i look up at him again and he's smirking. then i feel him grab my hand and intwine his fingers with mine. he looks up at me for consent and i smile, showing yes. he's a bit shorter than me, which i love. it's cute.

"bitchin'." Kenny says. "nah, it ain't!" Benny replies. "come on, Benny, man! maybe two,three guys in history have ever busted the guts out of a baseball!" Squints explains. "must be an omen..." Squints adds. "all's it means is that we can't play no more. i mean, it's only 12:00, and i just ruined the whole day for us." Benny sighs. "no you didn't, that's the most amazing thing i ever saw!" Kenny replies. "anybody got any money?" Benny asks. all of us either shake our heads or say no. "then it's not okay. 'cause now we can't play no more." he says, frustrated.