4. You Owe Me A Meal

*Haley’s POV*

“Thanks,” I say softly, and almost unwillingly at who it’s directed, as I continue looking straight ahead out the window. “And sorry for dragging you into that.”

Griffin shrugged as he continued to look at the road. “Are they always like that?”

I angled my head towards him as my eyebrows scrunched together. “Like what?”

“Like always shoving guys on you? I mean I saw the guy standing in your kitchen,” he continued as a smirk grew on his face, “and I must say, your parents sure know how to pick ‘em.” he teased as he mockingly made an ‘mhmm’ sound.

I rolled my eyes. “Just drive.”

“Where to?”

“I don’t care, you can just drop me off at the library I guess.”

“The library?” he scoffed. “No way, it’s a Friday night-”

“It’s only 5pm.”

“We are officially on the weekend - it’s a Friday night and I’m not going in to some library.” 

“You say it as if it were some diseased, deadly place,” I chuckle.

“It might as well be. Have you seen the librarian? She’s like a  walking corpse.” 

“Hey, she’s 82 and doing very well for her age!” I raised my voice  as I came to Miss. Wormwood’s defense.

“And do I need to mention paper cuts?” he raised an eyebrow. “Very deadly, in my opinion, if you’re not careful.”

“Look,” I sigh. “You don’t have to go in! You don’t even have to enter the parking lot. But I do. I’m still behind on Mrs. Amherst’s class-” 

“Ouch, you have Mrs. You-better-ace-my-english-class-or-I’ll-make-your-life-a-living-hell?” He clicked his tongue with a tsk.

“Now do you see my problem on why I need to study so badly?” I exhaled. “I don’t care if you come in or not, but I need to get some things so if you’re gonna be this stubborn about it, you can just stop the car now and I’ll walk th-”

“What books were you getting?” he interrupted as if he didn’t hear me talking at all.

“Huh? Oh um, I don’t know. This girl who sits next to me in class told me to get Fundamentals of English Grammar by Betty Schrampfer Azar or something, so I figured I’d start there.”

He just shook his head, his previous I-hate-the-library attitude shifting to a more serious form. “If you get that book you’ll fail, trust me.”

“No offense, but why should I trust you? You’re not even in this class.” I raised an eyebrow.

“I was last year so just trust me when I say that class will be hell if you use that book.”

My eyebrows furrowed again. “Why? What does it matter what book I get? Isn’t English grammar the same no matter what book you use?”

“Not according to Mrs. Amherst. I don’t know why she hates it, maybe it’s the style or maybe she’s jealous of the writer or whatever. But I’m just saying, if you use that book and she finds out - which she will - you’ll fail her class. Now what girl told you to get it?”

I thought back as I tried to remember the girl who sat next to me. “Um, tall...thin...long black hair, wear’s too much makeup?”

“Vanessa Cottons?”