15. Open Windows Are the Best Escape Route

"Haley!" my mother called as I was reaching for the front door.

Suddenly stopping, I whipped my head in the direction of my name to see my mom walk in the kitchen. "Huh?"

Her aqua heels, which matched her unusually dressy outfit, clicked against the tile floor as she looked at me in confusion. "Where are you going?"

"Oh, just Griffin's," I smiled tightly, a little afraid of the reason she's dressed up. I went for the door knob again before I was once more brought back.

"No you're not," she knit her brows together.

"What?" I said suddenly. "But Griffin's waiting for me. I thought you were fine with me hanging out with him."

"Honey, I am," she reassured me. "But the Kacey's will be here in 10 minutes, and need I remind you of your end of the deal to spend more time with James?"

"Well, yeah," I stammered, feeling a little uneasy at the mention of him. "But I didn't think that meant he'd cut into my time with Griffin....I mean, it's just...mom, I'm not really comfortable around James..."

She scrunched her brows in concern. "Why not? Don't you like him? He seems very nice to me."

Don't you mean he seems very rich...

"Well, no." I shifted my feet uncomfortably. "I don't."

She exhaled and smiled as if this wasn't an issue. "Sweety, you just have to give him a chance! Now come on, I need you to go put on something nice."

"Wait, mom," I pleaded as she started to drag me upstairs. "Can't you just reschedule, please? I really don't want to be with James right now." Or ever.

Maybe I shouldn't have agreed to this and just sucked it up continuing to sneak around with Griffin...

"After our evening last week was cut short? Absolutely not, young lady," she shook her head at me with a grin. "Now get dressed, they're probably on their way over now!"

"But mom-" My door was closed in my face as I heard her heels click down the hall. I was about to tell her about the whole weed-kiss incident, but I guess she was in a hurry before they came - not that she would've listened to my list of cons for James anyway.

I sighed as I walked over to my closet. Guess I'll just have to deal with it one more night....But after that, I'm calling in my partner-in-crime of a twin.

If my parents weren't willing to listen to me on why I don't want to be with James, then I think it's time Dustin and I once again take care of things ourselves.

***

Dustin stared at me dumbfounded as he blinked slowly. "He offered you weed...and then tried to kiss you."

"Pretty much."

"Weed."

"Yeah," I raised my eyebrows.

"James. The perfect goody-two-shoes Mr. and Mrs. Snooty reproduced?"

"Yes!" I said for the millionth time. "Why is it so hard for you to belie-"

He shoved past me before I could finish as he picked up a baseball bat he left lying on his floor.

"Where are you going?" I scrunched my brows as he headed for the door.

"I have a little message for James."

"Dustin!" I yelled as he turned around.

"What?"