19. All Yours

I looked at Griffin as he looked back at me anxiously. His hair was a total mess, like he had been running his hand through it several times. It actually looked like he had been so rough that he actually lost hair, but maybe that was just my blurry eyes deceiving me.

"I made a mistake," he said as his voice wavered in despair. "I know I don't deserve it, but can we talk? ...Please?"

My heart pounded rapidly against my chest. At first I felt like crying all over again. He can't do this to me, I thought. It's too much. But the more I thought, the more angry I became.

Who does he think he is, thinking he can just walk back into my life after leaving and ignoring me? He doesn't get to come back and show up with my favorite flower just because he finally grew a backbone.

"Haley?" he pleaded.

My eyes darted to his distraught, droopy ones. I half expected my heart to melt at the sight, but instead it only made me angrier. Quickly looking away, I pushed myself away from the window and backed up.

So...what? Am I supposed to run downstairs, hear him out, and make up with him? Is that what he really expects me to do?

If that's not what you want, then why were you wasting your tears on him?

I mentally yelled at my inner voice to shut up. The last thing I was in the mood for was logic...though maybe that's what I needed.

I bit my lip as I debated on what to do. I glanced at my door, and then back at the window. And then I ran.

I practically tripped down the stairs and out the door as I continued to run to the other side of the house. As I turned the corner, I saw Griffin's back to me as he started to walk away. I suddenly stopped in my tracks, slightly startled after finally seeing him so close in awhile.

He must've heard me, because as soon as I stopped he turned around and snapped his head in my direction. Our eyes instantly connected, each mirroring the other's sorrow.

I whispered his name under my breathe before he looked at me a little softer and started running towards me. Hardly a second past before I began running towards him myself. The next thing I knew his arms were wrapped securely and tightly around me, his head resting in the crook of my neck as if he were afraid to let go. I wrapped my own arms around him as I began to shed a few tears into his shoulder.

"Haley..." He said under his breath.

Letting go, I pushed him off of me and hit his chest.

"What the heck was that?" I yelled. "I said I needed air, not let me go!" I felt a few more tears fall as he looked at me ashamed and heartbroken.

"I know," he breathed. "I know. And I'm sorry. Haley, I'm so sorry. I was just trying to make the best decision but I...I don't know...I know it was a dumb move...but I thought I was doing what was best for you." He ran a hand through his hair, making himself look even more like a mess.

"Well you made the worst decision," I scolded again before my voice lowered and my eyes softened. "You're what's best for me."

His bloodshot eyes connected with my water rimmed ones again as he exhaled remorsefully. "I know..." he said again. "I know that now. Haley, please forgive me. And believe me when I say letting you go was the hardest thing I've ever had to do and I never want to even think of doing it again."

I continued to look at him in thought, unsure what to say, as he stared back at me in regret. My eyes fell to the bouquet of flowers in his hand by his side.