Chapter 11

July 31st

          “James,” I wipe my face, “Where are you taking me? I need to pack!” This morning has been rough. It’s our last day; lots of tears and lots of choked up goodbyes. “You’re leaving tomorrow at like seven at night, you will have plenty of time to pack calm down,” James says. I cross my arms and put in our CD. “That’s just going to make you cry more, and you know that,” James ejects it. “But I want to listen to it!” I whine. “No you don’t, stop it and listen to me,” James says, “Put it back in your case so you don’t forget it.” I do as he tells me; because right now is not the time I want to argue. “Are we almost there?” I ask. “Yes, shut your eyes,” James says. I do, and I feel us turn. “Can I peak?” I ask. “No,” we park, and James gets out and comes to my side to help me out. “Can I carry you?” he asks. “I guess?” I say, which is more of a question. He picks me up and carries me a few feet, “Okay, open your eyes.”  

          “We’re on the beach? It’s about to start raining James I don’t-” James cuts me off with a small, square, velvet box. “What is this?” I ask, taking it in my hands. “Open it,” James urges, smiling. “James this is so pretty!” I say, opening the box. “It’s not an engagement ring, it’s a promise ring,” James explains. “What are you promising?” I ask as he slips it onto my finger. “It’s just to hold my place, so when we get out of school and I come up there you’ll still be mine,” James says. I look up at him, “You’re going to move north to be with me?” He nods, “Why wouldn’t I?” I shrug, “I don’t know.” “Elizabeth,” he says so I look up at him, “You know I love you right? I was there when Fee went missing, I was there when she came back, I was there when you met your Dad, and I was there for everything else this summer, what makes you think I won’t be there for everything else?” I stand up on my tip-toes so I can kiss him, “I love you too. I almost miss you already.” He smiles, “Come on, let’s go get you packed.”   

I don’t start crying again until James’s family comes over for a goodbye dinner. It’s just homemade pizza and breadsticks with some soda, but it seemed like a five- star meal. “Okay Elise, what was your favorite part of the summer?” Grandma asks. “Um, I liked seeing the horses!” Elise smiles. We go around the table until it gets to me. “My favorite part was meeting our second family,” I say, searching for James’s hand under the table, “My least favorite is leaving.” “I think we can all agree to that,” Grandma says, nodding.

          After dinner James helps me pack up my things, besides what I need for tomorrow, which I’ll pack after I use it. “I don’t want to go,” I say after every few things I shove into the suitcase, “And you are not helping.” He’s lying on the bed, “What, laying here isn’t helping?” I shake my head, “Not really.” I don’t want to cry anymore, I should be happy! I’m starting high school soon; I get to go sleep in my own bed again, I have an amazing boyfriend who gave me a promise ring, which hasn’t left my single since, but leaving is a lot harder than I imagined it ever to be. “Almost done? I want to watch a movie,” James asks, nudging my suitcase with his foot. I nod. “What movie do you want to watch?” I ask. “Anything, want to watch one of the Fast and Furious’? Nick has all them all,” James says. “I guess,” I shrug. “Come on, cheer up. Just think, I’ll see you next summer when you spend it with your Dad,” James says, “You can be sad up north!” “I guess,” I look over at him, shoving the last of my things in my suitcase. “You’re done now? I’m going to get the box set, hold on,” James jumps up and walks out into the hall. “The Fast and The Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and Fast and Furious,” James says walking back into the room. “Well okay,” I say, plopping down on the bed, “Let’s get to it.” Three movies, five tubs of popcorn, seven sodas, and lots of candy later I’m exhausted. “I’m tired,” I say, but James is already sleeping. I follow his suit, and fall into a dreamless sleep, my last in Florida for a long time.