Chapter 4

I must’ve shut the screen door a little too loud because I hear Ethan whining. I take off my shoes quickly and tip toe into his room. He standing in his crib, and June’s sitting up, gnawing on a teething toy. He stretches his arms out to me and June stands up. She inspects me for a second, and then does the same as Ethan. I pick them both up and carry them to my room quietly. I hope James has fallen asleep, even though that’s barely possible. My doors cracked open, so I push it with my foot and James’s face is scrunched with concentration. I put June and Ethan on the floor and walk out to the kitchen. Thankfully, Mom made some back- up bottles before she went to bed so I grab two and bring them to my room. “I was freaking out because I had no idea how they got in here!” James laughs when I walk in. “What movie are we watching?” “We’re watching three, The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off,” he says, smiling to himself. “Do we have to?” I whine. “Yeah, but I’ll probably fall asleep in the second one or something,” he shrugs. “Put it on, we have to get them back to sleep anyways,” I motion towards June and Ethan, who are waddling around on unsteady legs. I grab Ethan but he squirms away from me and toddles to James. James shrugs, “Try June.” I pick up June and she snuggles up against me. I sit Indian style and she lies in my lap. I feed her bottle and rock back and forth slowly. James sways with Ethan. June falls asleep quickly, but Ethan’s being more difficult. “I’m going to put her down, I’ll put the movie in when I get back,” I say quietly, and make my way as stiffly as I can to Ethan and Emma’s room. Patrick sits up as soon as I walk in and immediately starts freaking out. I walk quickly to the crib and lay June down gently, then I walk to Patrick, “Shh, Patrick. You’re at June and Nick’s house.” I lay my hands on his shoulders and he calms down a little bit. “Where’s James?” Patrick asks, and I put my finger to my lips. “He’s already sleeping,” I lie, “Lay down. You’re okay.” He nods, and I tuck him in with Emma and Elise.   

          Back in my room, James is still swaying with Ethan, “He just fell asleep.” “I’m going to change; you’ll be okay for 5 minutes?” I ask. He nods. I take a pair of cloth shorts out of my dresser, and I pick up my Dad’s shirt off of the floor. I don’t know what James is going to wear, so I poke my head out of the bathroom. “What are you going to wear to bed? Want me to ask my Dad for a pair of sweatpants?” “Oh yeah, sure,” he nods. He was wearing a plaid shirt and khaki shorts, so he couldn’t wear that to bed. I open their door, “Dad?” Everyone’s awake, and they’re all having a conversation about something. “Yeah?” he says. “James wants to know if he can borrow a pair of sweat pants for bed,” I say, walking into their room further. “Oh sure,” he walks to his dresser and pulls out his paint sweatpants. “Dad, seriously,” I roll my eyes. He laughs and pulls out his black sweatpants, then hands them to me, “Better?” “Yes, thanks! June and Ethan woke up so I used to back up bottles and they’re both sleeping again,” I explain. “Good job Elizabeth,” Mom smiles. I nod and walk out. Back in my room, James took off his plaid shirt so he’s wearing a white tank top. “Here, you change in here and I’ll change in the bathroom,” I hand him the sweatpants. “Thanks. Sounds good. I’ll put the movie in too,” he says. I pull on my cloth shorts and Dad’s shirt. I brush my teeth and take off all my make-up. I pull my hair into a messy bun. It’s going to be dark, so why try to impress? “Did you put Ethan to bed?” I ask. James nods, and the TV whirs to life. “That thing is so old,” I point out. “Yeah, obviously,” he says. The VCR makes a weird noise, and then the COMING SOON TO VHS clip comes on. “Whoop!” James says quietly. “Good job,” I laugh, “I can make popcorn, our parents are awake.” “I think the kitchen is far enough away from Emma’s room. Kettle corn?” “Yuck, regular,” I walk to the kitchen and put the popcorn bag in the microwave. It pops kind of quiet, but I stop it sooner than I probably should have. I pour it into a big bowl. Walking back to my room, I stumble and freeze. Please don’t wake up, I will everyone that it sleeping. I don’t hear anyone stir, so I practically run back to my room. “Ready?” I ask, and hit my forehead, “I got one bowl.” “We can both sit on the full bed, no?” he suggests.

          Halfway through the second movie, I could fall asleep. The only thing keeping me awake is popcorn and the fact that if I fall asleep, it will be on James’s shoulder. Not that the movie is boring, the first one wasn’t either, just I’m extremely tired. It’s just past midnight. I yawn, and almost smack James in the face. We both laugh, “I’m sorry.” “I can go to Elise’s bed if you’re tired,” he says. I shake my head, “After this movie I’ll go to sleep.” He nods. “When we first got here, Granddad told me I was born here. I always thought I was born up north,” I admit. “They’ve never mentioned it before. I mean, yeah they’ve talked about you guys and stuff, and they really talked you down to what you really are, but never anything about where you were born,” he shrugs. I decide right then and there that I won’t let my past affect my future, and I want James in my future. I take a deep breath, “Do you still want to know why I don’t talk much?” “Only if you want to tell me,” James says, obviously trying to hide his enthusiasm. “I became close to this guy, and I told him really a lot of personal and secret stuff, then he back stabbed me. I was terrified he was going to tell the school what I had told him, but then I became really close with this guy Henry, and he asked me out. We went out a few times and I eventually told him all the stuff I had told the other guy. He did the same thing. I vowed to never tell anyone the stuff I told them,” I explain quickly. “Just because two guys hurt you, doesn’t mean they all will,” James says. “The only guys I’ve ever been close to that haven’t hurt me are my Dad and Ethan,” I point out, “I don’t talk to very many people. I’d rather be alone than with people.” “What about with me?” James asks. “I’d rather you stay here, something about being here makes me uncomfortable. In this house, I mean. Like everyone knows something but me,” I admit. He shrugs, “I don’t know anything either, it’s okay.”   I nod, “I’m tired.” “The movie’s not over yet,” James says. I stand up and stretch, “But I’m tired now.” “Do you want me to move?” I ask. “No, I’ll move,” he says. I jump on Elise’s bed and burry myself in blankets. “Okay, fin Elizabeth. You may wake up in this bed though,” James sits back down. “I better not,” I pretend to be asleep.

          I guess I fell asleep, because I wake up in Elise’s bed with murmuring behind me. I listen intently. “She’s sleeping,” James whispers. “But,” Elise’s sniffs, “Mommy and Daddy said never ever to go into their room because Elizabeth will take care of me.” I sit up, and Elise runs over. “What’s wrong?” I ask sleepily. “Emma and Patrick are sleeping and I had a bad dream,” Elise cries. I rock her in my arms, “Shh, it’s okay. You’ll be safe in here, James scares all the monsters away,” I look at James for support, and he motions for us to come to the full bed. I pick Elise up and walk unsteadily to the bed. I set Elise on James’s lap, “See? You’re safe now.” “It wasn’t monsters,” Elise cries softly, “Mommy and Daddy ran away forever.” “That would never happen, Elise,” I explain carefully, “Mommy and Daddy would never leave you or Emma or Ethan or me.” Elise cries herself out, and then she sleeps. “What time is it?” I ask quietly. “After one I think, I’m not sure,” James shrugs. I’m extremely tired, I just want to sleep. “Do you think you can bring her and put her in the bed next to Emma and Patrick? She’s a heavy sleeper, you shouldn’t wake her,” I ask. I really want to sleep in my bed. James picks her up gently and carries her out. I lie down and turn my back to the door. Hopefully James will get the hint. He walks in and sneaks over to where I’m lying. He taps my shoulder, and I look up at him, “Want to sleep here?” “No,” he says, “Just checking.” I nod and close my eyes. “Good night Elizabeth,” James says, lying down in Elise’s bed. “I won’t be able to sleep, I’m awake now. I want to go back outside,” I say. “It’s too late, tomorrow you can. I probably won’t be over though,” James explains. “Well I know that,” I say, annoyed, “But I want to go outside.” “You’re whining,” James says, and throws a pillow at me. “Whatever,” I roll my eyes, even though he can’t see me. “I’m going to bed,” I say, and turn over. “Can I have that pillow back?” James asks. “No,” I wrap my arms around it and snore loudly. “Fine,” James walks over and pulls the one out from under my head. “You jerk” I get up and hit him with my pillow. “You’re the jerk!” he hits me with his. We have a laughing fit, and hit each other a few times. I trip over my feet and almost smack my face into Elise’s bed, but James catches me. “Trust fall?” Mom walks in. I straighten quickly and blush, “Sorry, did we wake you?” “No, we were awake. I thought you two were sleeping though. You better hope no one woke up though, or you’re both on lock down. Now go to bed, it’s one in the morning,” Mom says. “Good night,” James and I say together as she walks out. Then we fall into another, quieter, fit of laughter.