Introduction

Introduction

          Ever since I can remember, my family has been close. I do, however, bicker with my mother sometimes. My Dad and I have a pretty good relationship though. I’m a lot older than my siblings; my oldest sister is 7 years younger than I am. I have two sisters and a brother. My sisters’ names are Emma and Elise, and my brother’s name is Ethan. All of us look alike, all like our mom. Dark brown, curly hair, light grey eyes, and dimples. I grew my hair out to mid- forearm when it’s straight, which is most of the time. Emma, who’s eight, has her hair cut to shoulder length, while Elise, who is six, has her hair barely under her ears. It’s much easier to tame when it’s short. Finally baby Ethan, who doesn’t have much hair at all. He’s almost one. I’m 15, if you didn’t do the math yet. My mom had me when she was 17, but we’ve never really had to worry about money. My mom got her GED and she went back to school for a degree in law. My Dad’s a dentist, which is kind of ironic because everyone else in our family loathes teeth.

          I’m starting high school this year, and Elsie is starting kindergarten. I will have the privilege to drop Elise and Emma off at elementary school every morning because “It’s good practice for my learner’s permit.” When I get to my school, my mom will take over and drive to her office. My dad leaves early in the morning and drops Ethan off at my Grandma’s. I’m nervous about high school, but now as much so as I’m nervous about visiting my mother’s family Florida this summer. We’re going to stay from June 22nd to August 1st. I have no idea why it’s so long, but I do know we have a funeral or two packed in there.

          When I say Mom’s ‘family’ I really just mean my Mom’s sister, and her two daughters who are Emma and Elise’s age, and my Grandparents. The only thing I really have to look forward to is my Mom’s old friends and babysitting. I’m just hoping I won’t get baby plane duty, because nothing is worse than being the person on the plane with the baby that won’t shut up. Plus when we go out as a family and I take care of Ethan people stare at me with apologetic, disgusted, or angered looks. I absolutely hate it.

          8th grade just ended, and I will no longer be in the same school as Emma. She’s super excited because Elise will be the youngest Brayten at the school, instead of herself. She’s also super excited because 2nd graders get to use the big playground and they don’t have to share one with the kindergarten and 1st graders.