Chapter 6

“Ethan’s in room 127, it was a minor allergic reaction. It would’ve been much worse if he hadn’t puked three times,” I tell my mom, much calmer, now that I know Ethan’s okay, “The doctor said he may have to stay overnight just in case, because he is so young.” I hang up, and curl back into the uncomfortable ball I was in before my Mom called. Ethan lies on the hospital bed, sleeping peacefully. I cried for ten minutes straight, until my Mom walked in. I sat up straight, and wiped my face. “Elizabeth, it’s okay,” she hugs me, “You didn’t know.” It sounds better coming from Mom then it did James. I nod, and walk out into the hallway, so I can just be alone. It’s not like I did it purposely. It’s going to ruin my mood all day though. James sits down next to me, “You okay?” “No,” I say, “I’m not sleeping in that stupid tent tonight. I’m sleeping in my bed.” “You should. I could stay in there if you want, or…” James says, looking at me. I don’t turn to look at him, “You could.” I would like to be alone, but I don’t want to be rude. We sit in silence until Mom comes out to announce Ethan and she are spending the night. We say out good byes, and James, June, and I head home. I sit in silence the whole time. “Elizabeth, are you okay?” James asks. “No,” I sigh. “You did nothing wrong,” James says. I nod.

          Back at Grandma and Granddads, I walk to my room and slam the door. I want to be alone, but something inside of me wants to be alone with James, which doesn’t make sense, because one’ I don’t like James more than a friend, do I? And two; I wouldn’t be alone if he were here. I lie down and turn my back to the door. I don’t cry, because Ethan is okay, though I feel like I should. Someone knocks on the door. “Go away,” I mumble, but they come in anyways. They sit down on the edge of my bed. “I said go away,” I say, not turning over. “Don’t be so hardheaded,” James says. I sit up, “What do you want?” “I wanted to see if you were okay,” he shrugs. I roll my eyes, “Obviously I’m perfectly fine.” “I was just checking,” James stands, “Tomorrow we’re going out to eat. We’re bringing Emma and Patrick on a date.” I smile, “That’s cute. Where are we going?” “Somewhere,” air quotes, “Grown up.” That makes me laugh out loud, “Well okay.” “So, you’re sleeping in here tonight?” James asks casually. I smile sadly, still upset over Ethan, “Yeah I guess. Would you like to sleep in here too?” James shakes his head, “I’ll hang out in here and whatever, but I love sleeping in a tent.” He smiles. I feel kind of disappointed, but I shrug, “Okay. No movies though. None.” He laughs, “Okay, okay. I’m going to see if any more cookies are done. Want to come?” “No thanks. I think I want to take a nap,” I lie; I want to read, “You can bring me a sugar cookie if she has any.” He nods, “Okay. Want me to wake you up at any time, or just let you sleep?” “No, if you get too bored you can wake me up,” I shrug, and he walks out. I walk to the dresser and pull my book out. I get comfortable and begin reading.

          “Hey,” James says, making me jump, “I thought you were going to take a nap.” He hands me a sugar cookie and sits on Elise’s bed. “I did, but I want to read instead,” I say, biting into my cookie. “Okay,” he laughs. “I really did want the cookie though,” I smile. “Did you have braces?” James asks. “Yeah, when I was twelve to just last month. I was so happy when I got them off,” I say, “Did you?” “Yeah, I had them in middle school. You’re 15? How come you’re starting high school this year?” James says. “I repeated kindergarten, and my birthday is in September,” I explain. “I’m going to be a junior, because my birthday is in June,” James says. “What day?” I ask. “The 15th,” he says. “Oh, so you just, just turned 16,” I say. He nods. “Thanks for the cookie,” I say, putting the rest of it in my mouth. “Anytime,” he laughs.

          We end up staying in the bedroom, just talking, until Grandma calls us out. “Your grandfather wants to do the bonfire now, come on,” Grandma rolls her eyes. “Uh, Grandma, is it alright if I sleep in the house tonight? I’m not a fan of tents, and the Ethan thing is still kind of bothering me,” I ask awkwardly. “Of course dear, just join us for the bonfire?” Grandma says. “Of course,” I say, and we make our way to the backyard. James holds me back as Grandma goes out the screen door. The light was off, so I had to squint to see his face, “Yes?” He clears his throat, “Never mind.” “No, tell me,” I say. I literally feel like I’m looking at the celling because he’s so much taller than I am. “Nothing,” I can see him smile through the darkness, “It’s nothing.” I roll my eyes, “Whatever.” We make our way to the bonfire, where everyone is sitting around it. I sit next to Elise, but it’s extremely hot, and a sudden wave of cramps makes me want to throw up. I move to the other side, so I can be further. I ended almost sitting on James. “I thought you were sitting next to Patrick,” I laugh. “No, Emma’s sitting next to Patrick, look, they’re holding hands,” he points. “No they are not,” I say, looking around the fire. They are. “Oh my goodness,” I laugh quietly. I hold my stomach, because it’s killing me. “Are you okay? Do you want to go inside?” James asks. “Kind of,” I whine, “But I don’t want to walk over there.” He smiles, “Want me to carry you?” “No!” I laugh, “Thanks, though. I guess.” “Come on,” he stands and offers me his hand. I stand, but he hesitates for a moment before dropping my hand. I couldn’t see his face, but I’m almost positive he blushed.