Chapter 3

James dropped us off at Grandma and Granddad’s, with the promise that he and his family would be over in an hour or so. My mom looked just as frazzled as my Grandma when we walked in. “What are you guys doing?” I ask. “There are just so many people coming over tonight! We can barely figure out what to do next. Go get ready so you can help us, please?” Grandma sighs. “Well the house looks nice,” Emma smiles. “Oh good. Okay, Laura and Bill, Lucas and James and June and Patrick, and you’re family Oh dear,” Grandma puts her hand on her cheek, “That’s 13 people!” “I’ll go shower, and we can cook okay?” I walk to the bathroom and take a quick shower, washing all the sand out of my hair. I throw on white shorts, and a red tank top with a lace back. I put gel and hairspray in my hair after straightening my bangs. I put on concealer, white eye shadow, and mascara; simple but effective. The house smells so good already. I walk to the kitchen, “What are you making?” Mom smiles, “Salad to begin baked chicken and fresh French fries, and pecan pie for dessert.” “Sounds really good, can’t wait,” I clap a little. “Hey can you get Ethan ready? T- Minus 30 minutes!” Mom asks. “Sure,” I walk to Emma and Ethan’s room. Emma is tickling him. “Mind if I intervene?” I smile, and pick up Ethan, “Does someone want a bath, huh?” He smiles and shakes his arms around.

          I fill up the bath to about six inches high and put Ethan in. It’s a quick bath, so he, of course, wasn’t cooperative. I’m sitting on the floor, covered by one of my Dad’s shirts and a towel so I avoid getting wet, because Ethan was squirming around, avoiding me. Ethan points to the door, and I think it’s someone from my family. I turn around at the noise of giggling, ready to shoo Elise or Emma. It ended up being James and who I assume to be baby June. I stand up quickly, “Hi! I wasn’t- I mean, we weren’t expecting you until later.” He looks at his wrist, like a watch, “No, we’re right on time.” I laugh, and he smiles. Then I remember Ethan and wrap him in the towel that was around my shoulders. “I know it looks like I’m not wearing any pants, but I promise that I am,” I laugh, “Who sent you in here?” “June. She said you were gone for a long time,” James explains. I blush, “He wasn’t cooperating. By the way, this is Ethan. And I hope you’re hungry, Grandma made a ton of food.” “This is June, but I guess you kind of knew, right?” he laughs, “Yeah, I am hungry actually.” His dimples are so much more enticing than they were at the beach, “Good. But I have to get him dressed.” I turn away, hoping he didn’t see me staring. I put jeans and a t- shirt onto Ethan and pull off my Dad’s shirt that I was wearing. I didn’t realize James stayed in the room. June is sitting on the floor, and I put Ethan next to her. “Are you ready to tell me why you’re so quiet yet?” James asks, sitting on Emma’s bed. “I don’t have a reason,” I say. “Okay, sure,” he rolls his eyes. “Elizabeth! James!” Granddad calls, “Dinner’s ready!” I grab Ethan and James carries June out to the kitchen. Grandma re directs us to the dining room. There are two high chairs, so I put Ethan in one and James puts June in the other. I sit next to Emma, and James takes the only other seat, next to me. Grandma says grace quickly. Then we start to eat. “Oh! Before I forget, I think we should go around the table and say our names to get to know each other better,” a small, skinny woman says. She has blonde hair and brown eyes, “I’ll start. My name is Laura.” A tall man with black hair and blue eyes nods, “I’m Bill.” He smiles, and he has dimples like James. The young man next to Bill, who looks just like Laura, except taller and shorter hair says, “I would be Lucas, but you can call me Luke.” “I’m June,” Grandma smiles. “I’m Nick,” Granddad nods. Dad introduces himself and mom says, “My name is Heather.” Emma, Elise, and I introduce ourselves. Then James, then a little boy who could almost be James from the past says, “I’m Patrick.” I introduce Ethan and James introduces June. “Can we eat now?” Bill asks. We all laugh, and then eat.

          It’s eight when we end up finishing dinner. I put Ethan down and James lies June in with him. Elise takes a shower, and gets ready. Emma and Patrick want to go play outside, so James and I sit outside to watch them. We sit on the porch swing, and they play tag. Mom, Dad, Granddad, Grandma, Laura, Bill, and Luke sit in the kitchen drinking coffee. We swing back and forth slowly, about thinking about different things. “Emma! Don’t go too far, it’s getting dark!” I yell, to break the silence. James jumps, and then laughs. “Did I scare you?” I laugh a little too hard. He nods, laughing too, “Yeah a little.” We swing back and forth some more, then he sighs. “Hey Elizabeth,” he says, “We’re alone now. You can tell me why you barely talk. You didn’t talk at all at dinner, and barely at the car. The most we’ve talked was on the swings at the beach. I’m not going to tell anyone. I’m just curious.” I shrug, “Maybe I don’t have a reason.” He pokes my ribs and I squirm. It made my heart flutters out of control at his touch. “Just tell me,” he smiles, and even in the fading light I can see his dimples. I don’t resist this time; I reach out and touch the left one. He jerks his head back in surprise. “Sorry,” I blush and turn my head away. “No it’s okay, I was just surprised,” he laughs. I feel like crying, why am I so stupid? I don’t turn my head back to look at him, because if I move an inch, I’m going to tell him everything. “Elizabeth? Are you okay?” he sounds distant. I nod, and straighten up, “Sorry.” He stares at me for a minute, his forehead crinkled, then looks away. I want to run away, to go run to Sugar and ride her forever. I want to say something, but words don’t come. I just sit here helplessly. I don’t want to like James. I don’t want to like anyone. It makes you vulnerable. Vulnerability leads to heartache. “If I tell you something, will you tell me why you’re so quiet?” James offers. “I don’t have a reason,” I lie. “Seriously?” James asks. “I don’t usually get asked questions like that,” I shrug, “I may have a reason. I’m not an upfront person. I don’t share things.” “Why not?” he asks. I shrug. “Tomorrow, I want to show you something. Okay?” he says. I nod. I don’t want to go, I really want to sleep. Being with James really brought back old memories of Henry, and every other guy I’ve ever dated. I’ve always been second best. “I-I’m going to the bathroom,” I stammer, and walk briskly to the house. Lie, I’m going to lie down.

          James sits on the edge of my bed, “We’re spending the night, because Patrick and June are sleeping soundly, plus because my mom can’t drive and my dad had a little more than coffee.” I sit up; I’ve only been in my room for half an hour. I feel kind of bad, “Sorry I left you out there. Where’s everyone sleeping?” “Luke is on the couch; Emma, Elise, and Patrick are all in Emma’s bed. I guess there are two beds in your parent’s room?” I nod, and he continues explaining, “So my parents are in there with them, and I guess I’m in here.” “Grandma and Granddad are sleeping already?” I guess, there are butterflies in my stomach that I want to stab. “They just went to bed, the younger ones are already sleeping, and Luke is out. It’s just us and our parents I guess,” he points out. I nod, “Well, this is my room.” He smiles, “Cute, cute.” “Technically, it’s not mine, its Grandma and Granddad’s,” I laugh a little. He’s sitting on the twin bed, hands on his knees. “You want to sleep in this one? I’m smaller than you are, I don’t mind sleeping in Elise’s bed. She may come in here later to tell me Ethan’s awake. She knows not to go into my parent’s room at night,” I ask, standing. “No, no, it’s okay. That’s your bed,” he insists. “Really, it’s okay,” I say. “Elizabeth, sit down. I’m sleeping here,” he says. I lie down on the twin bed, being extra careful not to touch him, “Then I am too. Or you could sleep on the full bed.” He does the unthinkable; he picks me up and almost throws me on the full bed, “Stay.” We laugh, and I lie on my back, staring at the celling. “Where are you from?” he asks. “Chicago, there’s never any stars. No stars, just planes,” I say sadly. “Come on,” James stands. “Wait, what?” I ask, going to my closet and pulling out a sweater. “Just come one, but be quiet. Tip toe,” he whispers, opening the door. It’s quiet and cool in the house. James opens the screen door and lets me out before shutting it quietly behind us. “Okay, look up,” he says, pointing to the sky.  I gasp quietly, “It’s so pretty. I walk to the middle of the field, until I can’t see the light from the house, and I lie down. I don’t even panic because I’m not sure that I can make it back, I just lie in the soft grass, and look at the stars. I look to my side, where James is laying. I didn’t notice him walk up; I just stare at the stars. “Pretty?” he whispers. “Yeah,” I murmur, “It looks like a picture.” “You can see the big dipper, look,” he points to the sky. I look around helplessly; all the stars look the same. “I can’t see it,” I say.  He takes my arm and points it upwards, “It’s really a lot easier to see when it’s not a full moon.” “Oh, I see it,” I lied, but my arm was starting to feel tingly from the blood rushing out of it. “Want to go back inside? We could watch a movie. What time is it? June has a bunch of old movies,” James says, standing and offering me his hand. I take it and stand also. He drops it quickly though, “There’s a TV in your room?” “A small one, I’m not big into movies,” I shrug. “Come on, seriously?” he says, pretty loud. I hush him, “Seriously. I’d rather read that watch a movie.” “We’re going to watch a movie, let’s go,” he walks quickly to the house, and I make no attempt to keep up with him. I think I can find my way.