Chapter 5

I wake up when Elise climbs into my bed. “What?” I whisper. “I wanted to wake you up! It worked! Grandma and Granddad are going out to gather eggs and milk. Come on come on!” Elise smiles. “Elise, it’s dawn. You go help them, I’m tired,” I push her gently. “Fine,” she crosses her arms and runs out. I turn over and James is smiling at me from Elise’s bed, “Why don’t you go out?” “Because it’s late and I’m tired. Go to bed,” I whine. “I woke up when you woke up,” he shrugs. “Good night,” I close my eyes and try to sleep.

          James walks past me and I sit up, “Where are you going?” “June made pancakes and eggs, it’s nine now. Come on,” James offers me his hand. I get up and wobble as the blood rushes from my head to the rest of my body. James grabs my shoulder, “Morning sunshine.” He smiles, and I grab the blanket from my bed. “Shut up, I can manage,” I scowl. I walk like a zombie to the kitchen. I grab two pancakes and some eggs, “Thanks.” I walk to the dining room to find Granddad, the girls, Patrick, June and Ethan, and Luke. “Well good morning,” I sit down next to Elise.  I scarf down my breakfast and Granddad stands, “I have some great news! Tomorrow we’re going to go camping. Today Luke, Phil, Bill, James, and I are going to set up the tents and Patrick and the girls are going to help with the campfire. Laura, Heather, and June are going to make lots of sandwiches, and I guess Elizabeth gets to watch June and Ethan.” “Whoa! That’s so cool!” Patrick says. I nod and bring my plate into the kitchen. “He’s just trying to make your guys’ summer the best,” Grandma explains, probably picking up on my confusion. I nod, “That’s good. He’s done a good job so far.” “How was your night with James?” Grandma winks. “Grandma! No, I don’t like him. Yeah, it’ll be cool to have someone mu age around, but nothing more. Not that I’ve planned on,” I explain, smiling even though I try not to. “Okay, okay! Sometimes plans change, keep an open mind. James is a good boy, nothing too far. You know what I mean. Maybe a relationship will do you good, Granddad can’t keep his mouth shut, you never know when something will slip,” Grandma smiles. I nod. I have no idea what she means, so I walk back into the dining room and release Ethan and June from their high chairs. They must’ve experimented with their food, because they’re covered in baby cookies.

After a long day of babysitting and preparing, I’m excited to sleep. I didn’t even have time to shower. There’s 4 tents out in the backyard; tent one will be Patrick, Luke, and James. Tent two will be Mom, Dad, Laura, and Bill. And tent four will be Grandma, Granddad, and the babies. In the middle of the tents is a large campfire, plus tons of smores’ ingredients. I crawl into my bed and fall asleep immediately.

          “Elizabeth! We’re camping today!” Elise jumps on my bed. “What time is it?” I grab her and lay her down next to me. “I don’t know,” Elise says. “Great. Go find out and tell me, I mumble and turn over. Elise runs back, “It’s ten in the morning Elizabeth, wake up. James is coming over,” she sings the last part. I bolt up, “I do not like James.” “James and Elizabeth sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G,” Elise dances around. I grab her shoulder, “Stop it.” I walk to the bathroom, and turn on the shower. I take my hair out of the pony tail and flip it around. I laugh at myself, and grab two towels, one for my hair and one for the rest. I take my time in the shower; I have no need to rush. I shave my legs with the razor my mom had conveniently bought for me. Then I decide to straighten my hair. I get out of the shower and wrap my hair up in a towel. I dry off and pull on jean shorts, with a floral tank top. I blow dry my hair and spilt it in half. I braid one side and blow-dry the other. I straighten the un-braided side in 20 minutes. I braid the straightened side and un-braid the curly side. It takes me half an hour to do that side, because I have to style my bangs. I take note of the spilt ends I need to get taken care of, I apply my make-up. I open the door and almost run into Emma. “When can I start to straighten my hair?” she asks. “Tell you what,” I say, “How about we do it now. Go take a shower and come get me when you’re out.” “You mean it?” she smiles. I nod and she runs to the bathroom.