06. the universe has it out for me

"HURRY UP or we're gonna be late, Cleo!"

Why does this seem to be a recurring theme?

Ruby'd suggested last night that we take the bus to Fish Tank, which my platform-boot-covered feet are currently thanking her for, but my mental clock still curses up a storm.

"One more wing!"

She stumbles into the threshold of the bathroom, this time in a patchwork crop top and flared jeans. "Come on. I'm gonna have to leave without you."

My tongue pokes out the corner of my mouth in concentration, hands steadily forming the second stroke of eyeliner beneath a purple smokey eye. "Beauty takes time, Ruby."

"Ugh. Just be quick with it!"

I hear her leave the room before moving the pencil from my eye and rushing to slap on eyelashes. They're a little off-kilter, but I decide to just roll with it, adjusting the straps of my plaid minidress before slipping outside to follow the irate, short girl down the hallway.

***

Twenty minutes later, we're arriving at The Tank, officially late for our first day—which I would like to blame the bus driver for instead of myself. We could have walked here faster.

A woman at the front desk gives us directions from a little clipboard sitting on her desk, and then Ruby and I are speed walking to a conference room down a wide, empty hall that seems to fold out for miles.

The writing workshop is held in is apparently held in a branch near HQ, huge floor to ceiling windows with a sleek futuristic design, though the further we travel, the more antique the interior seems to get, progressing into dark wood halls and beautiful rococo-style murals spanning the walls.

"Cleo, Ruby, is that you?" I glance over as we step into the room, smile crossing my face when I see the person the voice belongs to.

"Anaya?"

She nods quickly, excitedly, motioning for us to come meet the circle of heads in the middle of the room.

An older woman standing at the front turns around, beam lighting up her face. "There are the missing campers! Come in, come in."

We're across the room and engulfed by the group instantly.

"I assume some of you met on GroupMeet already?" the woman asks, dark skin gleaming under the fluorescent glow above the floral rug we're all gathered around.

"Yep," I confirm with a nod, forming a heart with my fingers to shoot to Anaya as Ruby chuckles with a small wave.

"That's great, that's great. Every year people tell us the GroupMeet link is a good idea. I'm glad to see it's still working."

My gaze sweeps the group fondly, smile twitching when it passes over Nicholas and lasting all the way up until I see the last person in the line.

Shit.

Yeah, the world really has it out for me.

The guy from Roselyn's is there. Scratch that, the guy from the airport is there. Or better yet—the guy from my worst nightmares is there.

Lips pressed tightly together like his brows, glasses still gone, eyes squinted critically to spell out murder.

He's in an outfit similar to the ones I've had the misfortune of seeing the past few times we've met, fancy slacks and a green long-sleeved button-up that matches the tiny specks in those wretched eyes of his.