32. the library (part i)

FINE, I'll ADMIT IT.

I'm having a hard time deciding what to wear.

Usually I'd go for a miniskirt and baggy shirt combo no problem, but after everything Ruby and the rest of them said yesterday, I can't help but think that Dane might think I'm dressing up for him.

And sure, I wear cute clothes everyday, but if he thinks I'm trying to impress him I just might die of embarrassment.

I dig further into the dresser drawer, throwing that thought right out the window when I see the skirt in my hands.

It's dark, flowy velveteen mesh, tied up the front with ribbons looped through grommets like a corset. I pull the fabric up to my waist before tightening it until it almost cuts off my blood circulation. Then I grab for a tight, purple halter top in one of the lower drawers.

On my way out the door, I slip into a faux leather jacket and my stompers, slinging my tote bag over my shoulder as I struggle to lace up the strings.

I have roughly ten minutes to get to the library before one, and my heart is racing at the prospect of being late. I'm playing a dangerous game with time, but I guess I love testing my luck.

Much to my surprise, the bus shows up on time.

But very much not to my surprise, it decides to screech to a halt at every stop along the way.

I'm tucked in the back corner next to an old woman who's been staring at my outfit for far too long, and I drape my arms over my chest, the movement catching her attention.

"Going out?" she asks, leaning closer as we catch eyes.

"Something like that," I shrug before turning to root around my bag for my phone.

"I remember those days. These are the best years of your life."

"Are they really?" I murmur under my breath, but she hears it and decides to respond anyway.

"Oh, yes. Young adulthood is unforgettable. I hope you're cherishing it."

I force a polite laugh, thanking god as my stop comes into view. "Well, this is me. Have a nice day."

She nods over enthusiastically as I stand up, grabbing my stuff and fighting my way up to the front before the bus can even come to a stop.

I spot Dane the second I enter the library, nose in a book in the space between the two entrance doors.

He's wearing a sweater vest today despite the weather, dark trousers, and, of course, his trench coat.

Chocolate curls fall into his eyes as I draw nearer, and he raises a hand to swoop them out of the way a little too model-esque for my liking. Then like clockwork I'm noticed. The book snaps shut.

"You're late."

I pull my phone out of my pocket, checking the time. Ten minutes past. "The bus was slow."

"Maybe you should have planned accordingly then."

"Don't you have better things to complain about?"

"Not at the moment, no." He moves from his spot at the wall before shifting forward to grasp the door handle, letting himself inside and barely holding it open for me. "I got a study room on the second floor."

"Can't wait," I say, and he glances over his shoulder at me.

"Have you written anything?"

"If you're talking about coming up with ideas then yeah. I told you I would."