18. distraction session

"I JUST...I feel like it's just within reach, but every time I go to grab for it, I miss it."

Ruby nods solemnly from her place across from me on the couch. "Poetry will do that. To find meaning you have to pick it apart bit by bit sometimes."

I groan, looking back down at the notes I'd taken during Frances' lecture today. They're a scribbled mess that I can barely read, probably because I was too busy staring across the table at Dane the entire time.

Dane who hadn't looked at me once, besides the second he'd shot me a dirty look when I kept tapping my nails on the table before looking back down at his paper.

I guess it's a step up from the glaring.

"But I don't want to pick it apart." As my words come out in a whine, Ruby chucks a pillow at me.

"What is up with you today, Weirdo? Did he say anything to you yesterday?"

I immediately know who the he she's referring to is—the dark-haired Devil spawn across the hallway.

Except now I'm not so sure he's Devil spawn.

He might just be the Devil's part-time accomplice.

The thought almost makes me snort before I sober up, recalling reality.

Last night, for some reason, while briefing Ruby on what had happened, I'd felt it necessary to leave out the details of how exactly I'd ended up with a busted nose in the stairwell with Dane Anderson. Like telling everything would be revealing some great, big secret destined to stay just between the two of us.

It's ridiculous, but made sense in my fevered state of mind, so I guess there's no going back now.

"No, he didn't say anything."

"Cleo," the look Ruby shoots me tells me everything I need to know. "Whatever that prick said to or about you isn't true, okay? Believe me."

I cough to hide my surprise at her concern. "Really, I'm fine. He's the least of my worries. Now help me study?"

She sighs before climbing onto my bed to look over my shoulder, staying silent for a few moments before pointing, "Well, I think dawn is supposed to symbolize an emptiness. See the way he describes it?"

I look down miserably at the poem in my lap, concentrating for a solid three seconds before three solid knocks strike our door in quick succession.

"Got it!" I'm up in an instant, tugging up my jeans and straightening my crop top before I sling back the wood to be greeted by Marty, Anaya, Julia, and Reece.

My heart sinks a little, and I note the feeling with a jolt, gaze straying over their heads to Dane's door, bouncing back quickly with a smile.

"What brings you guys here?"

"Move, Cleo. We have a study session to get to." Julia deadpans, pretending to shove me out the way before ducking under my arm and strolling inside.

"Hey, party people!" I hear Ruby trill from inside as everyone else shuffles in, me kicking the door closed with my foot before pacing back to my bed.

"What brings you guys here?"

"We're having a study session, didn't I already say that?" Julia's draped over my bed, notebook set in her lap.

"Study? Why don't we do something fun? Like swim?"

"We have a pool here?" Reece perks up.

He gets a judgemental look from all of us.

"I don't have a suit."

"So? Wear normal clothes."