Time

"I need time, Dan," he breathed out.

Dan nodded. "Alright," he told Phil.

"I'm moving out," he said.

Dan looked at him in shock. "Why?"

"I need time," he repeated.

That was a little over six months ago. Every day, Dan woke up to an empty flat. Sometimes, he'd sit on the floor of Phil's old room, just wishing to see a stray sock or a lion floating around.

There weren't any.

Phil had packed up and moved out before Dan could convince him otherwise. Time was what he needed? Fine. He would give him time. The more time they spent apart, the less and less painful it was to understand that Phil was gone and moving on with his life while Dan still sat in his empty flat.

One day, when Dan was motivated enough, he cleaned his room. When he found a framed photo of himself and his friend, he threw it back into the drawer and slammed it shut. There was a shattering noise. Dan felt his mouth go dry. He opened the drawer back up again to see the frame lying there, the glass shattered. He felt tears welling up in his eyes.

Stop it, he told himself. His son that he only knew about for a little while died. All of his subscribers found out that he loved you. He obviously needs time.

They were all valid excuses, but no matter what he did, Dan couldn't stop the tears. He missed his best friend. They didn't even speak anymore.

The brunette tried picking up the glass, and in his frustration, he squeezed the glass. It dug into the palm of his hand. He squeezed the shard more intensely and let it slide into the center of his hands, watching the blood run down the otherwise transparent object. He wasn't a cutter, he wasn't suicidal; just every once in awhile, he felt the need to feel something. He hadn't felt anything but numbness for six months.

Dan dropped the blood-covered shard back into the drawer and slammed it shut once more, the warmth and throbbing of pain evident in his hand. He needed to talk to him. He pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"Hello?"

When he heard the voice, Dan was speechless. He'd been wanting to hear that voice for far too long. He guessed that he was silent for a second too long because Phil spoke again.

"Dan? Are you alright?"

The younger male licked his chapped lips and spoke. "Yeah. I-I'm fine."

Another second of silence. "How are you?" asked Phil.

"I miss you," Dan said quietly. Then he got louder. "I miss you so damn much. Can't you come back? I tried giving you the time and space that you needed, but I..." he trailed off, becoming quiet again. "I'm sorry. This was a mistake."

He hung up the call and put his phone in his pocket. It was time to let go.

_____________

Author note: I'm aware that you all hate me right now. ^_^