23

A few weeks go by, and I spend a majority of that time with Liam. Because of all of the events that took place recent; Ben has demanded he be Liam's caregiver until Calvin and I 'figure our shit out'. Ben is doing what's in the best interest for him, and I am truly grateful.

Liam is so big, and already getting so strong. He can walk now and occasionally slips up and calls me mama. I hate it. I want so desperately to have our parents back. It kills me knowing he will grow up without his actual mother or father. So, as Calvin and I work out our problems; my dearest friends are giving my little brother the best life they possibly can. They said I can come visit anytime and each day Liam is over there, the more in love with him they fall. I'm afraid they might not let me have him back, but where he is he has a sister that isn't twenty years older than him and parents.

After Calvin's heart felt conversation with me the other day, he has been shut away in his office doing god-knows-what. He calls it work but I call it hiding from his own emotions. I wouldn't ever actually say that to him because he would just deny it. Yet he knows I know. I think that's what drives him to lock himself away longer.

It's so strange the way he is. One day he is the most loving person in the entire world, and the next day he is just a zombie. Picking your brain for details and just zoning in on it. Sometimes his thoughts slip through to me, but most of the time it isn't even a full sentence. A few examples of this would be; ...lover... , ....see the bump.. , ..her smell ,

It is just down right weird and I can't make sense of it. Every single time I try to think into it, it ends up just giving me a headache. What Calvin has said to me has really helped change my mindset of Zella, but sometimes I still can't help but compare myself to her. I think the thought of just being a replacement will always weigh heavy in the back of my mind until I eventually believe myself when I say that it's not true.

I flip over the piece of fried chicken that I'm cooking and set the cooking utensils down. It is going on nine o'clock at night and I have yet to see Calvin since I woke up this morning at six thirty am. It makes me sad that he puts his entire life on hold for 'work'. His office is such a boring room too, I would have pulled out every strand of hair by now.

I've never understood why he locks himself away in there. Must be an old person thing. I think.

"I'll have you know I'm not old, just...very wise." Calvin shoots back in the link. I grumble at my wolf for letting my thoughts slip through. The link is so wishy washy because it hasn't been completely established yet. I don't understand why marking me full takes so much time, but I guess I will just trust Calvin. He is the only one of his kind, no doctors know really anything about him. He is remarkable.

While the chicken finishes up, I mix up some honey mustard to dip it in. I prefer ketchup, but Calvin thinks that it is the nastiest thing on the planet; as long as you don't say anything about pickles. He despises those. Finally I pull the chicken from the pan and set it with the rest of the tenders I've prepared.

I plate the food, making sure to add way more to Calvin's than my own. He eats more than a pig does, I swear. Before I leave the kitchen with both plates I turn and make sure that everything is turned off. Then I make my way down the quiet hallway.

"Benjamin, I understand how all of this sounds," I hear Calvin on the phone. "I just don't know how to go about do this again. It's been so long." Cal lets out a heavy breath. "I mean, you were only what? Eight? Nine?"

I reach the door and everything gets quiet. "I have to go." Calvin says abruptly ending the call. Rude. I was trying to eves drop. The door creaks open slowly, and Calvin raises his gaze from the floor. He doesn't look like he has been sleeping well.

"Did you enjoy your time with Liam today?" Calvin asks with a gentle smile, completely changing the mood of the room. I give him a smile back. "It was fun, but I really think Liam would like to see you." My voice quiets after the first few words. He tilts my chin up with his fingertips and lets out a sigh.

"It isn't how you think it is, little wolf. I'm just very tied up with work." He sighs. "And-"

"And if it were your actual kid would you fail to give it attention too, or is it just because it's my little brother?" I frown, holding his plate out for him to take. "I get that you're busy, but I didn't marry you so that you can lock yourself away in a office."

"I take care of forty five different packs just in this country, Gray." He says lowly. "I don't think you understand how far behind I've gotten from your outbrea- I mean, our issues." He rubs the bridge of his nose because he knows that I'm going to lose my shit from his choice of wording.

"Look, I'm sorry Gray. Today has been very stressful and the only thing that's been on my mind today is my face between your legs." He grabs the plate with one hand and grips the doorframe in the other. "Thank you for the food. I'll treat you to dessert." He leans forward and pecks my forehead. Before I know it, the door is shut on my face.

What the hell?