Chapter 25: Blushes with a side of cold pizza

Ryders p.o.v

    I was pissed and a little jealous watching Zack kiss Aria. The anger I understood but the tiny bit of jealousy I was feeling made no sense. Aria wasn't mine, She was a friend. Even though I tried to stay away from her. She had become my friend. 

    Emma was standing behind me clearing her throat. "I'm so tired of him treating her this way. Acting like he's so into one moment and the next he's all about Cindy...Thank you, Ryder." She was thanking me? This completely stunned me. Turning around to face her, I saw she had a thoughtful look on her face.

    "Why are you thanking me?" She went to say something but paused. She was thinking carefully about what she was going to say next. "I haven't seen Aria this happy in a long time. It's nice seeing her smile again. I missed it so much and honestly, I've felt so useless not being able to help her. So thank you, Ryder." Her words gripped my chest.

    Aria deserved to smile. If there was anyone in the world who deserved to be happy it was her. Zack is really getting on my nerves. He seems to be getting on a lot of people's nerves as well as reaching his limit with everyone and I was about ready to do something about it.

  "You don't have to thank me, She's a really great person who deserves the best. Besides, the person here who has helped her the most is you." She smiled at this and I could see a little teardrop slide down her cheek. Emma was a really good friend. She cared about Aria, you could tell they were more like sisters than best friends.

  We both turned our heads at the sound of Aria's door opening. Upon looking at her face you could tell she was tired. Her eyes were slightly puffy. She was holding back tears you could see she wanted to let out. It took everything I had not to pull her into my arms and hug her. That's a weird reaction to have. "I am going to get something to drink." Emma hugged Aria on her way out.

    Aria walked towards her bed sitting down on it. "Are you okay?" She didn't answer instead Her head fell into her hands and she sighed slightly. "I saw what happened down there." She let out a humorless laugh. "Was there really anything there to see? Other than him trying to play some sick game." I saw red and all I want to do is protect her. He really isn't going to get away with this. I am done letting him do this shit.

    "How are you feeling? Is it any worse today?" It was my turn to let out a humorless laugh. She was worried about me. She really was an amazing person. It didn't matter what she was going through. She cared about the people around her. "It could be worse but your mom has really fixed me up." The tears that were in her eyes had almost completely disappeared at the mention of her mother. "I'm glad... Can I ask you..." She hesitated. "Never mind." She was nervous. Why? "You can ask me anything."

    "What happened? How did you get in—injured?" She stuttered slightly. This really wasn't a conversation I was ready to have but she deserved some kind of answer. "There is someone that likes to take their anger out on me and that's all I can really say." It was already too much and I could tell the wheels in her head were turning. "Okay. Thank you." Why was everyone thanking me today? I didn't tell her much.

I barely let her see a glimpse into my life but so far she has been so open about hers and I feel so guilty. I want her to know me better. I have this urge to tell her everything but I don't want her pity and that's what I would get from her. I hate when people look at me like that and she's the last person in the world I want to get that look from.

    "I have something to confess...I saw you watching...after he kissed me. When I looked up you were standing there." I thought she had seen me but I wasn't sure. "Crap, I wasn't trying to creep or anything I was just making sure you were okay, and then when he kissed you I had to tell myself not to go down there and punch him." She blushed slightly. It shocked me when I felt a bit of warmth in the pit of my stomach from the site of it. "Well I am glad you didn't and I don't think that you were creeping. I just hate that you had to see that."