Chapter 30: Everything Changes

Aria's P.O.V

    The hallways looked longer than I remembered and more packed. My right hand started to shake slightly as all eyes turned on me and whispers filled the room. I had to tell myself "You can do this Aria." I looked to both sides of me. My brother was standing to the left and Em to the right of me.

    I took another look at my brother. Remembering the talk that we had when I returned home from the hospital a few days ago. He had spoken to my mother the night before. They talked about how it affected him and she told him about me. Which led to our own heart to heart.

    We talked about everything, even Ryder. He told me that he loved me and he never blamed me. I think it was that last thing that I needed to start the healing process. So no matter what people say to me or about me,. I just had to remember that it wasn't my fault and that I shouldn't blame myself for things that I can't control. Which was easier said than done.

    "So we will meet back here after school. Or if you need to, we can go right now." Andrew gave me a pointed look. "I'm fine. I know where to meet you after school, dork. This isn't my first day." He messed up my hair and laughed. "Alright Smartass. See you later." Em bumped my shoulder. "I'm so proud of you, Aria."

    "I love you, Emmy." Em and I had also had our own talk. And yes there was tons of talking and ice cream involved. She blamed herself for not seeing the signs, realizing it sooner. She felt like she was a failure of a friend. Which made me want to laugh, because I was the one who was the bad friend. We also talked about Ryder. She didn't have anything kind to say about him right now.

    Speaking of the devil, there he was. Leaning against his locker at the end of the hallway. I tried not to think of him since everything that happened. It was pretty much a failed attempt. There were so many times I picked up my phone wanting to text him or just stared at it, hoping he would text me. Neither of them happened.very time I had the phone in my hand, wanting to reach out first. I would remember what he said to me that night at the party

    I took a deep breath, prying my eyes away from Ryder before we could make eye contact. After a small mental prep-talk, I resisted the urge to glance back. Slightly straightening my posture, I walked with Em to my locker. I may not like it, but this is how things are going to have to be. That chapter of my life is sealed tightly. At my locker, I said bye to Em as she went her separate way. Immediately, I felt my insecurities fester. I was so anxious, and honestly a little afraid, without her support... but it's going to be okay. It's... okay to feel this way.

    I still couldn't help but wonder what people might say to me. Unravel some of the healing I had done... But I was stronger than that, right? I had to be. I can do this! I finally looked at my locker and saw, Zack. Was he waiting for me? If I were to guess,Andrew probably told him that I was coming back today.

    I wanted to wear an angry or repulsed expression, as if maybe it would get back at him. I wish I could've told Andrew something about what happened between me and Zack, then maybe he wouldn't be here to ambush me. I hid my eye-roll as I mentally faced the facts; I was going to have to cross paths with him sooner or later, might as well get this over with.

    "Aria." Zack looked nervous. "Hi." I said with a mono tone,reluctantly walking up to him. "How are you? Nevermind, that's probably a stupid question. Let me start over; I'm sorry, Aria. For everything. You didn't deserve any of it." I could walk away. Not accept his apology and just close this chapter as well. But I think for both of us it's better to just forgive. "You know what? Thank you, Zack. I appreciate it."

    "Great! Anyway, I just wish things hadn't gone down the way they did. And you should've listened to me about Ryder." I couldn't stop my head from tilting to the side. Did he really just say that? "Zack, are you trying to tell me 'I told you so' while apologizing? Because you have no right to say that to me. After everything- especially after everything You are NOT in the right here." It didn't seem like we could ever move forward. He was never going to let anything go. And for some reason he thinks that he should have an opinion on my life. "Aria, I'm sorry I didn't mean to-"