With Bird

Another year, another edition of the ONC!

The OpenNovellaContest took place for the fourth time this year! Recently, the Top Five Winners have been announced and the team of CoffeeCommunity has interviewed them to get to know more about their writing and ONC journey.

This year Bird, who is known as Birdpaw on Wattpad, has taken the fifth place with their story The Weight of the Family.

☕☕☕

Welcome to the interview, Bird!

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe your fiction?

Not really much to know about me, other than a fact I'm a star with heavy imposter syndrome sometimes. I write Fantasy (Dark/Epic/High) and Science Fiction space opera (soft sci-fi).

When did you start writing and what does writing mean to you?

I started writing when I was fourteen (which was twelve or so years ago). 

Writing means more than a lot to me. It's no small stretch to say that writing has genuinely saved my life multiple times. It is my passion, and something I want to do for the rest of my life.

How has your writing journey been so far? What are your goals as a writer? 

It's been well. Next month in July, I'm querying to agents to get my science fiction space opera published. We'll see how that goes.

How did you find out about Wattpad and what do you like the best about the platform?

I couldn't tell you. I honestly forget how I found out about wattpad. What I like most it the friends I've met along the way.

Why did you participate in the Open Novella Contest?

For funsies, that's it.

Which prompt(s) did you choose this year?

I chose Prompt 4 - "I am a weapon, and weapons don't weep."

Besides the prompt(s), what else inspired you to write your ONC winning story?

Several things: One, it's extra content for my want to be published space opera. It was a chance to explore one of the main character's back stories and how it'd fit in to the expanded universe. 

Two: I wanted to explore the other side of the mafia tropes. I see a lot, and I mean a lot, of dark romance (Whether it be the CEO/Bad Boy/Mafia boss). It's not my thing, and of course, not judging anyone who writes it or enjoys it, but I've seen I suppose a concerning amount of not a lot of thought being put into the background of it, to say the least. 

I also wanted to explore family dynamics... often toxic ones, and what that can do to a person's psyche alone.

TL;DR: For funsies and some personal exploration.

How did you experience your ONC journey?

It was fun, not much else to say about it.

Thank you for the interview!