With Kyotski

If you appreciate poetry that subtly pulls on your heartstrings, you will love Kyotski. I was first introduced to his work by another Coffee Community ambassador, and I owe her a couple cups of coffee and maybe a slice of cheesecake, because I adore them.

This interview was started to let all starting poets out there, who want to understand the author's process and inspiration. This is also for those, who are a fan of his work, myself included, and want to get to know the boy behind the verses.

The 411: What you need to know about Kyotski

"My name is Ian Hiedie Zuraimi, otherwise known as Kyotski! I am from a tiny tropical island, Singapore! I am 18 years old, born in 1999 and I am a Muslim!

I speak English and my native language, Bahasa Melayu. I am 1.8m tall and I'm a guy. My hobbies would be writing, art, and sports such as captain's ball and volleyball. I am also a design and science student in college."

Not only is our favorite poet amazing with words, he also puts his creative mind to use by designing landscapes. When asked about his design aesthetic, he said "I usually fuse futuristic architecture into nature and vice versa. I also add in elements that cater to recycling energy, especially in cities."

Great with words, creative and environmentally conscious, what more can you ask for?

Beginnings and Inspiration

What's your earliest writing memory?

"2013, on random pieces of paper"

Who's your favorite writer and how has he or she inspired you?

"For writing books, that would Lang Leav and for song writing, they're Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, and John Mayer."

Since poetry is slowly gaining traction, do you see writing poems as a career or a hobby?

"Yes, I do see that poetry is gaining popularity once again. I personally believe that it can be a formidable career! However, everyone has to write on a global scale and meet a certain standard of English to achieve the maximum outreach."

Technique and Tips

What are your unique quirks when you write?

"I usually write while listening to music around 8 PM to 2 AM."

Do you prefer writing a free verse or a more structured type of poetry? Why?

"I prefer free verse. I do not like to restrain myself with my works. I feel as if free verse is more spiritually open and honest."

You currently have 3 very successful poetry books. How were you able to build a strong readership? Is there a formula to it?

"Thank you so much for that compliment! My success is due to the readers of course but what attracted the reads was 'Notebook'!

I only had 500 followers in March 2016 but by March 2017, I had 3,200. Now, June 2017, I have 4,800. 'Notebook' put me on the world stage as it hit #1 in Poetry and the rest just followed. My personal formula would be just a couple of simple tips. Stay honest, stay pure and enjoy!"

Being published on Wattpad – a social site, how do you deal with haters and criticisms?

"I have yet to receive any form of negative comment or backlash, but I have witnessed my Wattpad friends getting attacked. I defended them by telling those people that it's wrong."

Inside Scoop: On His Wattpad Works

What inspires your poetry?

"My personal life experiences, friendships, family and a girl whom I loved."

A lot of your poems are written in a few lines, but they're very relatable. How are you able to infuse so much emotion into a limited number of words?

"I am not sure, to be honest. The words just flow out and there you have it, a piece was done by Kyotski! But also, I like to keep my works short. I feel that long poetry is a little draggy."

Have you ever tried sending one of your poems from Unsent Letters? Say, one of your readers takes inspiration from your work and writes a letter of his own and asks whether he should send it or keep it, what would you advise him to do?

"I never once sent a letter from that book. Most of its contents occurred in the past, so I feel like reopening the wound isn't beneficial. But, if that scenario were to happen to any of my readers, I would say yes, go for it. There are moments when I regret not telling those who left what I felt about them. However, generally, I regret nothing in life for everything has a reason."

Among your 3 published works, which is you favorite and why?

"Notebook would be my favorite because of its success, its outreach, and its impact. I was also the most honest in that collection."

Personally, what do you think makes a good poetry?

"Honesty and purity."

To conclude our interview, I asked Kyotski what the best lesson he learned as a writer that he's like to impart to other writers or readers who are hoping to write their own poetry

To conclude our interview, I asked Kyotski what the best lesson he learned as a writer that he's like to impart to other writers or readers who are hoping to write their own poetry. He said, "Write for yourself, not for others. Don't write about things you don't like to just please other people."

If you've read any of his work, you'd know he lives by that. His poetry is immersive and realistic. One verse can pull you back to a memory and remind you of feelings that you might have forgotten. Go check out his popular works, Unsent Letters, Notebook, and Halcyon. You can witness firsthand what I mean.

~~~~~

And thank you again, Kyotski!

See you next time!

The Coffee Community