With Lynn Santiago

With LynnS13

Hi Lynn, thank you for taking the time to get involved with Coffee Community. It's great to hear from authors like yourself and get to know a little bit about what motivates you to write longer works of fiction.

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe your fiction?

Anyone that wanders into my space is promised urban fiction with a dash of horror. If they are patient enough with me, I can produce, once in a while, a wacky version of romance. I'm pretty much into digging for old folk tales and bringing them into the spotlight as well.

Writing for sustained periods is a hurdle that every writer, beginner or experienced, faces from time to time. What powers you through those longer bursts of creativity and keeps you focussed?

Whenever I plan for more than a short story, I tend to sketch my way through it. I'm not necessarily a dedicated plotter, but it's good to have at least a general outline. As far as keeping focused, since my train of thought tends to derail in search of shiny objects, I try to build a world around my characters and dedicate them a solid couple of hours in which everything revolves around them, from choice of soundtrack to laptop backgrounds. I create the "zone" and stick to it!

Sounds like we should be locking away the silverware, then! So what top tips would you advise for getting a novella or a longer piece of fiction off the starting line? What kind of story developments motivate you to see it through to the end?

As above, sketch if needed. Get to know your characters at an intimate level, invest in them, even if all will not end up in the page. The more you dedicate to these imaginary someones, the more real they will become to you.

Have a clear picture of the story you want to tell. Novellas are shorter forms, so this is a great opportunity to practice exposition through dialogue or focus on some new technique you've had your eye on for a while. Make exciting for yourself. Audience will follow your lead!

We think practicing exposition is great advice! But to touch a little more on dedication, how much do you edit on the fly? Or do you prefer to edit after you've finished the initial draft?

Editing is the bane of my existence. I try to go over the obvious on the fly, mostly concerned with big continuity issues and misspelled words. The rest, it will be once the piece is done.

It appears you're a writer of dark fiction, so, personally, what kind of novella -- be it any style, theme, or genre -- would you like to see emerge from the Open Novella Contest?

I love fusion! This is a great opportunity to experiment. Surprise us all, people! Get inspired by a contest running through so many profiles and give us thrills, chills, deep sighs and wonder!

All things we like! Lastly, because we're always curious... What was your ever first experience with the power of the written language?

I started writing early, in middle school. But I didn't venture into it at a constant rate until I discovered Wattpad in 2012. This wonderful platform opened a door for me that allowed me to grow as a writer, gave me the courage to self-publish in Spanish and finally query and obtain a contract in English.

I have been here since then, a certified orange little monster!

And we wouldn't have it any other way. It's been great hearing from you, Lynn, and thank you for sharing your valuable knowledge in storytelling.

Best wishes for your future endeavours from Coffee Community!