With Stacey Polishook

Hi Stacey, thank you for taking the time to get involved with Coffee Community. It's great to hear from authors like yourself and get to know a little bit about what motivates you to write longer works of fiction.

Thanks so much for reaching out!

So, to begin, tell us a little bit about yourself as an author on Wattpad. For anyone who hasn't met you before, how would you describe your fiction?

I have two complete works here on Wattpad. One is an epic political fantasy novel ( think GoT style) and the other is a post-apocalyptic psychological horror/ spec-fic novel. Pretty much I gravitate towards speculative fiction and stories set in worlds that exist in a different reality but reference the real world in addressing issues I want to explore through fiction.

Writing for sustained periods is a hurdle that every writer, beginner or experienced, faces from time to time. What powers you through those longer bursts of creativity and keeps you focused?

We all have writer slumps. What keeps me motivated in the end is my characters and my commitment to telling their story. I can't say I'm the most focused of all writers. I do not write in order and instead prefer to start with major exciting moments from the story that I am very motivated to write and then go from that, exploring my characters, learning more about them, and discovering the full plot and structure through that exploration.

What top tips would you advise for getting a novella or a longer piece of fiction off the starting line? What kind of story developments motivate you to see it through to the end?

Personally, I would say write what excites you. For some people outlining is super helpful. For me, detailed outlining is too restrictive but I do try to imagine the shape of the book in my head to keep in the back of my mind and I put together the pieces of my story. I tend to start at a dramatic moment that I have envisioned. That is typically where the flash of inspiration comes for me and I ALWAYS advise writing those scenes you are excited about. Even if the scene you are imaging will come later in the book? At least write a rough sketch of what you want it to look like. I often write sketches of scenes to work with later. I guess that's my own personal form of outlining. In the end, every writer is different in their process. I know the way I write would never work for some. That's ok. Try out different styles of planning and drafting and find the one that seems to get you farther.

Let the story drive you through the process. You have a tale that needs to be told. Trust that story. There are so many moments of self-doubt and writer's block that authors face, but if you can keep your eyes that goal of seeing a story through to the end? That can really be a great motivator. This is your story and no one else can tell it.

How much do you edit on the fly? Or do you prefer to edit after you've finished the initial draft?

I personally try to limit editing until after a story is written. To me, too much focus on editing while I'm still writing can be a true detriment and keeps me from pushing through the story. Everyone is different, but in my case, I need to have a full story to work with before I can really know what sort of editing is required. Some people do better if they edit as they go and that's fine. I would just advise that people try to observe their own setbacks in finishing a novel. If you find that you tend to get stuck in the first few chapters of a story, judging the work so much that you can move on... that might keep you from finishing.

The first draft doesn't have to be perfect. The feeling of accomplishment you will find after completing a full novel might just be the piece of motivation you need to power through a real edit and polish that book up till it shines.

Personally, what kind of novella -- be it any style, theme, or genre -- would you like to see emerge from the Open Novella Contest?

I love Wattpad for the incredible diversity of users. I would just like to see something amazingly creative come out of the contest. I love seeing how different creative minds interpret different prompts. I'm looking forward to reading the entries and finding that people have come up with a story I never could have imagined might emerge.

Lastly, because we're always curious... What was your ever first experience with the power of the written language?

Gosh, that's a tough one. I guess I have always enjoyed stories. I'm an actor originally and from telling tales through performing to reading my favourite novels, I fell in love with stories from a very young age. As a child, I just loved the power of books to take me out of my own world and into different lands of adventure. That love never faded and inspired me to create my own alternate worlds to escape into.

It's been great hearing from you, Stacey, and thank you for sharing your valuable knowledge in storytelling.

Thanks again for having me!

Best wishes for your future endeavours from Coffee Community.

Our goal is to bring you many more exclusive interviews with people who aren't just Wattpad Stars or Staff, but also some pretty awesome authors.
In that quest, next we will be talking to Wendy Nelson, so stick around for more fun!