Chapter 1

The dwelling that I lived in was very nice. It was large with a grand kitchen, living room and three bedrooms. My room had two beds in it, but one of them was unoccupied.

I grew up with four other people, raised together since birth. We were all born on the same day. For the past 19 years we have spent everyday together.

Andrew had been my best friend since I could remember. He was tall, dark haired and had sea green eyes. I would definitely say that he was handsome... if I were ever caught dead admitting my attraction for another person.

We were kind of like a couple without all of the messy feelings stuff. Sure, I loved him, but not in a romantic way. We exchanged sexual favors from time to time but we both remained single. We were both looking for love elsewhere and it was a no strings attached relationship.

As for my other two roommates, they had found the love everyone always wanted. Jeffrey and Josie were the perfect couple. They had been happily together since we were 13. It was a bit weird at first considering that we were brought up together, but I guess we all got used to seeing them together. They were a really cute couple.

Love is difficult to find in this place since we are only allowed to go out once a week. The Center doesn't care if we have partners as long as no one is getting pregnant. If that were to happen there would be severe consequences.

As for the fourth and final person I grew up with, she was no longer around. Her name was Rosemary. At the young age of 11 she took her life.

We still don't know why to this day, but I vividly remember finding her in the bathroom we shared, on the floor, bleeding out. She was already dead when I found her. The military came and picked her up after that.

There was no funeral, no grieving, just a quiet, dark house. Nobody really talked about what happened afterwards, but I had always had my suspicions.

She had randomly stopped taking her pill one day, and then she was gone days later. Sometimes, I thought about stopping my own pill just to see what would happen. I never admitted that to anyone though. I couldn't imagine what they might do to me if I had told anyone.

After that, we were the only dwelling on our block that didn't have 5 people living in it. Until one day we got a notice that a new girl was moving in with us.