Chapter 12

The hug was warm and completely unexpected. In all honesty, that level of affection made me cry harder, but it was really nice to be comforted.

I don't usually cry, but I care so much about Andrew and I hated hurting him. I couldn't hold back the tears. I couldn't believe that I was crying in front of Emelia either.

"What happened?" she asked, holding me closely to her.

"Andrew talked to me about how he likes me," I said, trying to hold back my tears. At that point it had just become embarrassing that I was crying. Even if Andrew and I were never the same, things would be okay.

She wiped a tear from my face as I spoke again.

"He knows about us now. I hurt him a lot. He knows I don't feel the same. He wants to take a break for a little bit. I don't think we will ever be the same though. How can we still be friends after knowing that he's in love with me and I broke his heart?" I said looking up at her, finally stopping the tears.

"Kai," she said trailing off, unsure of what to say.

"Kai, I don't know what's going to happen and I know that Andrew's very hurt now, but I don't think that it's the end of your friendship. You both love each other a lot. Even if you don't feel the same, you're still his best friend. Things won't be the same and that's okay. You'll just have to readjust but, you're not going to lose him," she said stroking my hair.

I didn't say anything in response. I felt like a complete idiot for sitting here and whining about Andrew while sobbing on Emelia's shoulder. I hated getting emotional about things that seemed that they weren't that big of a deal.

"Okay?" Emelia asked softly, taking my head between her hands and forcing me to look at her.

"Okay," I said looking down in shame.

"Why do you look like that?" Emelia asked.

"Because I'm sitting here crying about something that's probably going to turn out fine," I said.

I hated invalidating my own feelings and I hated even having feelings at the same time.

"What? Kai, it's perfectly reasonable to be upset that you hurt your best friend and that things might not be the same," she said empathetically. "It's okay to feel this way."

"Okay," I said, thinking. "Thank you."

I smiled up at her weakly and she brought me into a tight hug, sitting on my lap.

I wrapped my arms around her and fell backwards onto the bed. Her embrace was warm and it was comforting to just have her here.

We laid there holding each other for a while until my stomach grumbled.

Emelia giggled at the sound.

"Did you eat?" I asked her.

"Yes," she responded with her head still against my chest. "You should get something too."

"Ugh. I don't want to get up... but I am hungry," I said pausing for a bit. "Okay. Fine."

Emelia picked her head up off of me and rolled over to the side.

I got up and went to the bathroom before walking into the kitchen. I wanted to make sure I didn't have any visible signs that I was crying.

Upon entering the kitchen I saw Andrew sitting at the table, finishing up his bowl of cereal.

I said good morning to everyone even though I had already spoken to all of them today.

Andrew looked at me without a word and then put his dish into the sink before walking into his bedroom.