Chapter 4- Induction

"I think you owe me a finger." Professor Donia said with a tight smile gripping his hand. He released Eli's hand from his grip and let out a chuckle.

"Sorry, I was making a joke. Lame inside jokes and puns are going to be the death of me. You wouldn't get that one seeing as you were technically sleep walking, isn't that funny, you were sleep walking while being awakened?" He stated chuckling to himself yet again, he was beginning to leave an impression.

How odd. Eli thought to himself, that was definitely not funny at all, and what was this about owing him a finger? Eli looked at his hands and didn't see any missing fingers so it just added to his confusion.

"I healed it."

"With magic." Eli said more as a statement and than a question.

"Yes, seems like Mr. Rodrigues has given you the run down, did you pay attention?" He asked lifting a brow as if genuinely curious with his response.

"Not really, I just thought he was batshit crazy until I saw him create fire in the palm of his hand."

Mr. Donia just nodded and took a seat at the stool near Eli's bed. Eli walked over and took a seat on the bed. He faced forward to look at the teacher, he felt the air tense and knew they were going to be talking about something serious.

"I found you in a fire, well, to put it correctly, I found you in a burnt down house unconscious. I arrived before the police as I actually felt someone using magic. I frequent the Mundane Realm often so it was by chance that I found you really.

By the time I arrived, you were on the floor, laying there in a circle created by the lack of scorch marks, my theory? You awakened in the middle of the fire and you protected yourself creating a barrier."

"Did you see anyone else? Did I live alone? Do I have a-a family?" Eli asked feeling sick to his stomach, somewhere deep down he knew the answer.

"No. I didn't see anyone there, perhaps you did live alone, mayhap, you were the only one in the fire, I saw no remains or anything." Mr. Donia replied truthfully, he hadn't seen any burnt bodies, but he definitely knew there were other people in that fire based on the remaining burnt items there.

This was no accident. He thought to himself.

"Thank God, atleast it was just me." Eli said fighting against the bad feeling that was creeping up his spine.

"I have a serious question for you." Mr. Donia needed to hear his answer.

"What is it?"

"You can go back to the Mundane Realm or, you can remain here at Magia Academy and master your magic. Do you plan to remain here? Or will you go back and search for clues of who you were."

Eli wanted to accept this opportunity instantly, but, what if he had a family? What if this world was too dangerous? What if he can't learn magic? What if he fails?

Those thoughts riddled his brain and the doubt was beginning to set in and then he heard a voice in his head.

You can do it

He wanted to learn magic, he wanted to explore this world, maybe he could go back after he was finished, He also wanted to know the boy who had been in his room, Javier.

After a few more moments of contemplation, his answer came.

"Yes." Eli said raising his head to meet the professor's making the older man grin.

"Well then, I guess I should explain everything to you, this academy, fosters children from ages 13-20 and tutors them, however children can awaken from about age 8. The early bloomers are normally taught some basics in their home until they are old enough to enroll at an academy. So, to say the least, you're behind. Seeing as its July, you can enroll next semester. You are also 18 no?" Eli nodded his head in response, glad to be able to answer one question about himself.