13.

Maheen had waited for long by the lake. She firmly believed that Dev would surly come, he couldn't be upset with her about nothing, but few minutes of waiting turned to an hour and an hour into two.

As the moon rose higher in the sky and the darkness grew darker Maheen decided to give up on her optimism and return back.

She walked back to the palace, the grounds now quieter as most of the residents had gone to bed.

Maheen noticed that she had spent a lot of time by the lake today as the patrol had changed for the night too. She let out a tired yawn and cracked her bones, walking her lazy feet to her room.

She entered her bedroom to find her brother sitting in her balcony, watching the dark start sky.

"Has the king nothing better to do than star gaze ?" She said playfully breaking Abeer's light of thoughts.

"As much pride I take in the safety of our kingdom let alone the palace ground, I do not appreciate you being out so late with no company at all." Abeer said sternly to his sister.

Maheen walked towards him and wrapped herself around her brother's tall frame, her cheeks resting on his broad chest. She took in the comforting scent of her brother and let out a sigh.

"What's wrong ?" He said holding her shoulder and pushing her away from her to look at her in the eye.

"Nothing. Nothing really. I just-I miss you." She said. "I liked it when Baba had to work and you and I had all the time in our hand to enjoy and have fun."

"Oh Maheen." Abeer said pulling his sister again in an embrace and let out a throaty laugh. "You could try taking Baba on your adventures now, I mean he isn't as fun as I am but I'm sure he isn't a total bore." Abeer said smiling down at his sister.

"I think I will." Maheen laughed.

"Coming back to the previous topic, I don't appreciate you wandering around at this hour." Abeer said. "Go wherever you must under the sun but -."

"Okay bhai okay. You know I'm not a child anymore right ?"

"You are still a child, you are my responsibility Maheen." Abeer said making Maheen sit on the patio chair kept in her balcony.

"Yeh yeh." She said pulling him down beside her into the next chair.

"Also.. I .. I don't like Aditya's brother, Dev is it ?" He said looking at Maheen closely. "I've seen you talk to him, and I understand you are friends but I don't find him fit to be your friend even. You should -."

"Bhai you think I'm a child, I'm not one. I know what's good for me and what isn't. I'm capable to take my own decisions let alone make friends."

"Maheen I'm just wor-."

"How we'll do you know Dev ? Seen him a couple of times maybe ? I have spoken to him and he seems decent enough to be friends with, you don't have to tell me what I should be doing and what I shouldn't."

"Maheen aap batameeze kar rahi hai." (Maheen you are misbehaving.)

"Sach bolna batameeze kab se hone lagi ? If Dev is so bad why don't you stay away from his brother too, the so called emperor of Awadh Aditya Raj Suryavanshi, why would he be any different from Dev."

"Maheen you are blowing things out of proportion here in just asking you to-."

"Don't ask me for anything bhai. Please. You have taken Baba's place don't become like him because I for sure am not like Maa to let people walk all over me." Maheen spat regretting the words the instant they left her lips.