Maheen

The strong walls of the Agra palace had seen a lot in the past years, seen generations of the Khan family grow and prosper, it was today going to see the rise of another successful king.

It was a month after Abeer Ali Khan's 25th birthday, he would today be crowned as the 12th King of the dynasty, and nobody could be as happy as his sister Maheen.

"Mahi stop it." Abeer protested as his younger sister burnt dried red chillies for the fourth time to ward of the evil.

"You don't understand, this will help. Nothing will stand in the way of my brother's success." She said place the 'nazar ka teeka' behind his ear.

"If you keep doing this, I'll die of suffocation before I even become the king." He said breaking into a bout of cough.

"Oh shush you let me just do this you-."

The doors of Abeer's room opened interrupting the young Princess, their aunt Noor and maternal cousin Mrunal walked in.

"What have you done Mahi ?" Mrunal said opening the windows of Abeer's room, covering her mouth with her dupatta stopping herself from inhaling from the smoke.

"Maheen, why aren't you in your ceremony clothes meri jaan ?" Noor asked.

"I was going to go phupho but I thought tha-."

"Don't give me lame excuses, now go and get ready quickly for the ceremony or your mother will have my head, I was responsible to get you two ready on time." Noor said and quickly pushed her out of the door closing it on her face.

"Kamaal hai. Koi meri sunta he nahi hai." Maheen muttered as she walked towards her room which was on the other end of the corridor.
(Nobody cares to listen to me.)

She walked slowly towards her room and pushed the doors open to enter into her brightly lit chamber. The outer sitting room had a small diwan and her sitar placed on the long table.

Walking into her bedroom she saw her aunt Noor had placed an ivory coloured lehnga to wear along with some heavy jewellery.

Quickly slipping into her lehnga she sat on her dressing chair and began to comb her long thick brown hair, humming to herself.

A loud knock followed by the voice of her most favourite person apart from her mother rung in her ears.

"Mahi ?"

"In her Mami Sa." Maheen called out to Hania, who walked in with her best friend Gehna and her mother Avantika.

"Looks like the whole party is here." Maheen said turning around to see the three women.

"You aren't ready yet ? Mahi your mom's going to have my head on a platter." Hania said quickly helping her wear her mathapatti, while Avantika put her hair into a neat bun.

"Hey Bhagwan ! Mami jaan you need to relax and you too Avantika mami. Mom's  not some demon to chew you all alive." She said rubbing kohl on her lower water line.

"Of course, now hurry up." Hania said pinning her dupatta in place, while Avantika smudged some rogue on her cheeks giving them colour.

"Gehna why didn't you remind her to get ready. Both of you are so irresponsible, I'm going to see you two after the ceremony." Avantika frowned as she quickly brought the glass bangles for Maheen.

"I did tell her to get ready Maa, I reminded her three times." Gehna said hiding behind Hania.

"I can do this, I'll be down in five minutes. You guys can leave me under Gehna's watch." Maheen said as she slipped on her bangles.

"Fine. Be down quickly meri jaan don't make me come up again." Hania said kissing Maheen's forehead.

"I'll be down in five mami sa don't worry." She said putting her earring on next.

As the doors closed, Maheen sprung out of her chair and walked towards Gehna who backed against the wall.

"Stay away from me." Gehna said backing up.

"You little rat, you call yourself my best friend and don't take my side once, I'm going to destroy your today." Maheen said raising her hands in the air and wriggled her fingers.

"No Mahi please." Gehna squirmed as she climbed on the bed trying to put maximum distance between them. "You know maa wants me to get married, and I don't want to. If I displease her I'm off to wherever she sends me." Gehna pleaded.

"Nothing is going to save you from me." Maheen said narrowing her eyes and wriggled her fingers in the air.

"No." Gehna screamed and squealed as Maheen charged towards her.

"Help me someone." Gehna screamed as she laughed, Gehna was not only ticklish but even the actions made her break into an uncontrollable frenzy of laughter.

"Ahhh... Mahi stop. Please please please." Gehna screeched as Mahi pinned her down and tickled her best friend.

"Mahi. Stop please. Help hel-."

Maheen's laughter and Gehna's cry for mercy came to a stop as the doors to Maheen's bedroom were pushed open.

The two women froze and quickly got up, adjusting their dupatta's as an unknown man stood in front of them.

"Ye kaisi gusthaki hai ?" Maheen yelled at the stranger. (How dare you ?)

"How dare you enter into my chamber like this, how dare you !" Maheen yelled at the stranger who looked dazed as he stared at her.

Maheen's chest heaved up and down, her long hair had freed themselves off the bun and now lay scattered framing her face, her dupatta fanned across one of her shoulder.

"Are you dumb ? Can you speak ?" She asked the man carefully as she waved her hand in front of his face.

"Ahem. Yes, yes I, I can." He said breaking out of his daze.

"Toh bataoge yaha kya kar rahe ho ?" Maheen sassed. (So now will you tell me what are you doing here?)

"I heard someone scream and ask for help so I -."

"So you thought of playing the prince and came to protect the Princess from the evil queen." Maheen said giving him a cynical smile. "Well we don't need you here, show yourself out before I ask someone to escort you." She said in a threatening voice but it made the young man smile wider.

"I think I'll just stop playing the prince and get out of your way. For now." He said scratching the back of his neck. His chiseled jaw moved as his lips curved to smirk. The fine silk wrapping his polished tanned skin fluttered as he turned around. His raven black hair were which were drawn into a small man bun, they were the same shade that of his eyes which had rooted Maheen in her spot.

As the sound of the door shut reached her ear she let out the breath she had held back.

"That was .. something." Gehna said moving from her place coming closer to Maheen. "Who was he ?"

"I don't know. And I don't intend to find out."

AN: Hey I hope you like the introduction of the characters.
Stay safe guys
Lots of love