chapter 15 : last rule

i slowly opened my eyes and it revealed a different room. this is not sanzu's room, i stared at the ceiling remembering what happened last night. right, someone poisoned me and i thought i was gonna die.

the sound of waves was heared in the room. i stood up and took a look from the window, we're in a beach. does sanzu owns this mansion?

walking on the cold floor, i went down and when i was about to enter the kitchen i heard kakucho's voice.

"sanzu, what's your plan now?" all of them were gathered at the table.

"your enemies are after you but they targeted your lover." that was ran's voice.

"i don't want y/n to get involved in my fucked up life." my heart shattered hearing sanzu's voice.

the reason why i left ran and rin back then because i know damn well that i'll get involved in dangerous situations. i was only doing that for money and i'm no different from now.

"i can take her in, she'll be safe with us." rindou's voice was loud and clear.

does that mean i need to get separated by sanzu?

"sanzu, if y/n continues to stay with you she'll be expose in danger." ran is not wrong and i also don't want to get in danger because i value my life but the thought of getting separated by sanzu..

i got so used to him, months passed by when i signed the contract. we were always together and getting separated now is kind of.. i don't know.

"i don't really like the thought of y/n being close to rindou but this is the only way. can i trust you?" i took a look and sanzu was standing in front of ran.

"she's my little sister, you can trust me. once you settled your problem just come and take her back then." ran saw me looking and i gave up hiding myself.

"y/n, you're awake and are you okay? should you be standing up." sanzu went towards me as he hugged me tight.

i'll be missing his hugs every morning.

"hm-mm.. what were you guys talking about?" i sat beside ran and he gave me a hug.

"you'll stay with us for a while, sanzu needs to take care some things but you'll be safe with us." rindou assured me and i smiled at him.

"y/n, can we talk outside?" accepting sanzu's hands, we went outside to the beach and both of us went to sit on a rock.

"being with me means getting involved in dangerous situations but i don't want that." sanzu said, the wind was cold but the water was hot.

"i'm someone wanted by the police basically the whole japan. my life is messy and fucked up but i don't want you to get caught up in my mess." i let sanzu talk, maybe he just needs someone to listen to him.

"ran and rindou will take you in for a while. the one who poisoned you last night was one of my enemies and they were trying to get revenge by using you." he was looking at the huge beach in front of us.

"y/n, you're important to me, you're someone i want to be with, and someone i want to protect but let's not forget that this is just a game." sanzu's voice was low and the last word broke my heart.

"let's end this now, you're safety is guaranteed because you have the haitani's on your side." sanzu was about to stand up but i pulled his arm.

"sanzu, i don't understand! the other day you told me that you waited years to be with me and now you're telling me that you want this to end? you said you care for me but what now? are all of those lies?!" my heart was beating fast and all i could see was sanzu because everything was blurry.

"this is just a game." his voice was firm.

"i know! but didn't you develop any feelings? i don't understand you! was everything just an act? the other day you make me feel special but now you act so different!" tears were now falling from my eyes.

"if you were going to leave me, then why make me feel loved?! do you know how hard it is to get so attached but then they leave you?! what am i gonna do now? cry until i fall asleep? reread our old messages? stare at our pictures for hours then repeat?!" i wiped my tears, the pain i'm feeling right now was too much and this was different from the pain rindou gave me.

"end this game? how could i possibly do that! i may have thought that being with you was a dangerous thing to do but i didn't care!" i sounded so desperate.

"i don't you to get involved with my messy life! i don't to drag you down with me! i want you to have live a life where you'll be happy!" sanzu's hair was being blown by the wind.

"i'll be with you even if your life gets messy! i didn't agree to only be with you when you're happy! i'll be with you even if you feel sad or angry! sanzu, share your emotions with me and don't feel scared to do it because i'm willing to carry your burdens if that means loving you!" i covered my mouth, i finally told him i love him. i broke the last rule..

sanzu didn't say anything, he turned around and walked away leaving me behind. he might look strong but whenever i look at his back it looks heavy as if he's carrying something behind him, his smile was never real, his eyes always dark and empty.

my knees weakened, sitting on the sand, the cold wind blowing my hair, the water hitting my feet, and sanzu's figure fading away. everything happened so fast, we were just happy these past few days.

i fucked up, the game will only end when the other person falls in love because that's the final rule written on the contract.

the game is now over and he proved that he's the better player.