Book 2 - Chapter 3

Jamie sat on the ground outside his house. He watched the forest that stretched out before him with blind eyes, the world blurring into shadows as his mind wandered.

He had been sitting there for over an hour, listening to the group of Hunters deliberating on whether or not to kill him. 'He wants to die.' 'Let him live and suffer under the weight of his own conscience.' 'He could be lying so that we let him live.' 'Just kill him.' 'Agreed, he's a Vampire, he has to die.' 'He's worth a bounty.' 'We wait 'til we know for sure before we kill him.' 'What if he's worthless?' 'We should kill him anyway.'—blah, blah, blah.

The conversations had been going on for so long that Jamie tuned out, no longer caring to listen. He wished they'd just get on with it already. Just kill him, help him end his misery and give him what he deserved. Jamie looked down at his legs, which were crossed in front of him. He clenched his jaw and squeezed his hands into tight fists. The ring he wore on his right hand dug into his skin so hard he was sure it would cut through his flesh. He let out a breath and brought his shaking hand up to his face, looking at the ring that Sam had given him. He hadn't taken it off his finger since the day she'd gifted it to him.

Slowly, he pulled the ring from his finger, no longer feeling he deserved to wear it. He held it between his thumb and forefinger, watching as the different shades of blue danced around each other inside the gemstone.

Jamie dropped the ring as he was struck by a sudden thought.

Magic.

Sam's Magic was capable of doing anything; she had hundreds of spell books. Surely there must be some kind of resurrection spell in one of them that would be capable of reviving Sam. He just needed to find the right spell and the right person to cast it.

Jamie looked up as he heard footsteps approaching.

The Hunters.

He snatched his ring up off the ground and ran through the woods in the opposite direction to where the Hunters were. He heard shouts in the distance as they noticed he was no longer where they'd told him to stay.

Right now, he had no time to deal with them.Right now he had to find something to help Sam. And he knew just who could helphim do it.